Who to Keep and Who to Sell?

That was what was supposed to happen to my extras. My daughter's MIL was going to take them. But she's now caring for her mother during an illness and can't expand her flock right now. :(
I have 21 feet of roost. It wasn’t an issue until last week when Mrs Broody decided one 7’ roost was hers to teach chicks to sleep like a proper chicken. So, I have 12 chickens competing for 14’ of roost space. 3 of those are last broody cycles pullets. This week cannot go by fast enough.

That's why I think that Dumpling should stay.

That's her in my new avatar photo. She's got really wonderful foot feathers and is bigger than her sister so more Brahma -- at least in my inexperienced eyes.
Do you or any family members have personal favorites? I"d agree with @MarkJr that crowding a coop will be a bit easier with smaller breeds, so you might want to consider selling one of the brahmas.

Do you or any family members have personal favorites? I"d agree with @MarkJr that crowding a coop will be a bit easier with smaller breeds, so you might want to consider selling one of the brahmas.

I do intend to sell one of the Brahmas, probably Omelet.

DH doesn't want me to get rid of either of the Blue Australorps and my 15yo likes Chipotle's antics.

Deciding between the two Wyandottes is the thing -- Popcorn's better lacing vs Picatta's larger size. I don't know if Popcorn's purple face is a flaw or not. Their personalities aren't distinct enough to make a significant difference. Popcorn seems to be low bird in the pecking order, but I know that will shift as they continue to mature.

I do intend to sell one of the Brahmas, probably Omelet.

DH doesn't want me to get rid of either of the Blue Australorps and my 15yo likes Chipotle's antics.

Deciding between the two Wyandottes is the thing -- Popcorn's better lacing vs Picatta's larger size. I don't know if Popcorn's purple face is a flaw or not. Their personalities aren't distinct enough to make a significant difference. Popcorn seems to be low bird in the pecking order, but I know that will shift as they continue to mature.
Personally I'd go with the better lacing. Smaller size will be helpful with the tight fit, and personally I think that laced birds are beautiful so would go with better lacing.

Personally I'd go with the better lacing. Smaller size will be helpful with the tight fit, and personally I think that laced birds are beautiful so would go with better lacing.

Yes.

The tight fit will not be permanent. Once the house is in place we can build the new coop and I'll be adding a lot more chickens.

I do want good birds for my foundation flock even if I'm going to raise "barnyard mix" chickens.

Yes.

The tight fit will not be permanent. Once the house is in place we can build the new coop and I'll be adding a lot more chickens.

I do want good birds for my foundation flock even if I'm going to raise "barnyard mix" chickens.
Yep! But while space is tight, it will probably be easier with smaller birds. IMO better lacing would probably be closer to SOP and would probably pass on better to chicks, but I also know not very much about genetics.

Back
Top Bottom