Who to keep?!

sunnie7

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
Southern Indiana
I currently have 3 roosters that were all hatched this spring and need to be down to 1. My neighbor is taking my extra 2....Gray has been at the top for quite sometime and the other 2 are just now starting to crow and mate with my hens so it’s time to downsize. None have shown any aggressive behavior yet so they doesn’t help my decision. Which one would you keep? Gray the EE or sunfl the Silver laced Orpington or the ? Brahma mixed breed?
3C9E4D30-B615-43EE-A629-8AE1E9612DBE.jpeg
888FF412-20A2-4E23-8DE8-3891400122FA.jpeg
3A66B209-FEE3-4099-9644-A3F1D640CEB3.jpeg

I currently have 3 roosters that were all hatched this spring and need to be down to 1. My neighbor is taking my extra 2....Gray has been at the top for quite sometime and the other 2 are just now starting to crow and mate with my hens so it’s time to downsize. None have shown any aggressive behavior yet so they doesn’t help my decision. Which one would you keep? Gray the EE or sunfl the Silver laced Orpington or the ? Brahma mixed breed?View attachment 2386933View attachment 2386935View attachment 2386937
The one with more experience. The ladies love a man that knows how to do things. But, then again, the ladies can teach the young ones a thing or two. :lau :lau :lau
I'm sorry this is a hard one.

What are your goals with them? Breeding? Hatching/selling? Or just a flock protector?

we just hatched out several and at the time “Gray” was the only rooster I ever saw mating the hens. I don’t think we will hatch out anymore from our own flock next year so flock protector.
I’ve never seen my SLO mate a hen, he’s so big I think it might be a struggle for him 🤣😂 he does rush to the food first before letting the ladies eat but other than that he’s just kinda there.

Grey has been giving me the stink eye a little but other than that no signs of aggression.

The mixed breed guy I’ve never heard crow and he’s just now starting to breed so I’m not too sure of him yet.

I think the gray one is the cutest. You might get some blue or green egg layers from him. I think he’s the best for a mostly-egg flock.

Would go with the Orpington if you wanted heavier dual-purpose birds, though.

Back
Top Bottom