Who to order from?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by desertgirl, Dec 24, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Hi-need to order some feed on line, as I can't find some stuff locally. What places do you all recommend (keeping in mind I would like to go organic).

Thoughts?

2. Blue-Seal

3. KandJsmama

KandJsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Ordering online usually results in shipping fees that are higher than the cost of the feed. If your local feed store carries Purina feeds, see if they can order Organic Pride for you. It is Purina's organic line and since they already have the Purina truck coming they can get it for you at no additional cost. That is what my local IFA did for me and it turns out that I am not the only one buying it so they are going to keep it in stock. We are using the Organic Pride layer pellets and our girls are doing great!

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Countryside Naturals has soy free organic. I love it. Shipping is high, but you can get a pallet rate if you get together a group (buying as few as 10 bags).

http://www.countrysidenatural.com/home.php

The feed already contains Fertrell's nutritional supplements.

They're nice folks at this company, too. They goofed and shipped me a 50 lb bag of organic kelp instead of layer feed. They're letting me keep the kelp, instead of shipping it back (it's worth $50), plus they're sending 5 lbs. of feed second day air (free) so I won't run out of feed while I wait for the rest of my order to arrive.

5. sotelomary

sotelomary Chillin' With My Peeps

groworganic.com has organic feed. But like stated previously, with the shipping costs it can be pretty expensive. I order the diamateous earth from them because even with shipping, it comes out to $1 per pound. This is the cheapest I've seen.

Mary

6. sbates

sbates Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Hampstead
    I agree with some of the other posters... you are going to pay more to ship than the feed is worth. I would suggest taking a car ride (even a long one) and stocking up!!

7. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

How much do you pay for the Purina Organic Pride? I would like to have my dealer order it, but want to get some ballpark figures on the price.

8. KandJsmama

KandJsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I pay $22 for 50 pounds. The regular Layena Pellets are $16 for 50 pounds at the same store.

9. Quote:We live close to the place and we got it for a while but they wasted most of the mash so we stopped getting it.

Matthew

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Sounds like asking my local store to stock the organic Purina is the way to go. As always, thanks for the feedback!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by