• HAY

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • STRAW

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • NOTHING

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • GRAVEL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OTHER(if you choose other please comment what you use)

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
I know a lot of people out there believe that it is dangerous to use
DE but, I have been using it for over a 1 and a half.
I would like to invite all DE users to talk and share information
or anyone thinking about using DE.
PLEASE be helpful and appropriate
All information is welcome.
I have been using DE in my chicken bath with dirt, wood ash and sand. Initially I used straight DE from the feed store. It is only to be used sparingly according to the directions. Eventually I switched to food grade DE because it is excellent for the garden and it’s pests as well. 2 birds one stone! Now I use that in both. Birds love their bath but no surprise they make baths of their own all over the place!

I use untreated pine shavings in my coop house and nest boxes - which are cleaned out and replaced as needed (they make excellent compost in the garden and protection around the base of new and fragile trees).

I tried DE once - I laid a generous layer of it in the bottom of the nest boxes and on the coop house floor, then covered with the pine shavings. It had absolutely zero effect on the control/mitigation of red mites, in fact I found one nest box (that had been mite free a few weeks earlier) had a developed a thriving population of the little blighters IN the DE.

In addition I found it to be waaaay too dusty - despite wearing a mask, I ended up coughing and so did my birds in the end - so I cleaned it all out and have never used it again.

I have seen other people report success with DE that seems completely at odds with my own results. So I have come to the conclusion that our consistently mild climate may be the deciding factor? Other climates may have cool and hot periods that naturally knock the little boogers back a bit whereas here they breed like crazy all year round if you don't keep on top of them. *shrug*

I use pine shavings, large cut in the run and coop. I sprinkle a little DE in the bedding where the birds roost and also in their dust bath (along with sand and peat moss). Seems to do the job. 🙂

Initially I used straight DE from the feed store. It is only to be used sparingly according to the directions. Eventually I switched to food grade DE
I would think any DE at a feed store would be food grade.
Unless they pool filter grade DE.

I have been using DE in my chicken bath with dirt, wood ash and sand. Initially I used straight DE from the feed store. It is only to be used sparingly according to the directions. Eventually I switched to food grade DE because it is excellent for the garden and it’s pests as well. 2 birds one stone! Now I use that in both. Birds love their bath but no surprise they make baths of their own all over the place!
I use FOOD GRADE DE in the ash/sand dust bath , inside coop (with industrial hemp bedding 💞) & in nest boxes . I also use in the garden and other uses inside my home .
Works great in garden , is a preventative in coop - will watch closely & see . . . .

I've used food grade DE in the coop, garden and house for decades with good results. I use deep litter pine shavings on the coop floor and add a little DE when I add more shavings. I sprinkle DE in the nest box and in the food. I sprinkle it on poop around the outside of the coop. I had a mite issue ONCE and never again after using DE. This year my work schedule became more demanding of my time and I fell off of applying DE out there--and this is the only time I have ever seen evidence of round worms. I have never seen any skin, feather or respiratory problems in the birds that people say DE will cause. Even if there is a slight chance of some adverse result, the benefit greatly outweighs it. Look at all the people who still drive cars when there is a chance of having an accident.

I swear by DE but am aware of DE dust being inhaled. So be careful. I use it as a supplement and do deworm everyone with appropriate chemical dewormer on a regular basis. I haven't used it in my garden yet because of the pollinators, don't want to kill them. About my chickens: I sprinkle it in their coop so they can mix it in their dust bathe.

I’ve read a lot about the pros and cons and they all sound pretty reasonable.
So, I use it but sparingly. I rub surfaces down with it like roosting bars and underneath the straw in the nesting boxes. I also sprinkle it in our beds to keep fleas at bay during the summer. DE works by tearing cuts into the insect’s body.

Have used it occasionally.. Dusting for mites.. sometimes in feed for parisites.. but the issue with when wet it dosen't work.. so it's said. A conundrum. Used it 50-50 in dust baths with playground sand mixed.. Chickens are suseptible to respritory issues.. ever clean a dry dusty chicken coup without a face diaper? Then you would know.. Two weeks of Avian Flu (Bell Tower Disease) and you'll wish you were deceased.

Back
Top Bottom