Who Uses EBAY For Buying Non-Chicken Related Items?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Does anyone use ebay to buy non-chicken/non-animal related items? I have heard good and bad stories about ebay. I'm wanting to take the plunge and begin using ebay. I have been using Amazon to buy just about everything but I did some price comparisons and ebay is A LOT cheaper than Amazon. Will my money transactions be safe using ebay? Anything to keep in mind when ordering from ebay?

I collect chicken cups and chicken nest the glass one's. I buy most of them from E-Bay and have never had a problem. I have bought a signed screenplay written by Stephen King, Oh my lot's of things.

I also use Amazon allot too.

Your money is safe, just use your paypal account.

I have bought a lot of things on eBbay and used to work at the store that store stuff on eBay. eBay can be amazing but you have to be your own advocate and buy smart. Amazon is a retailer that sells things. They are an online store. There is an amazon marketplace also but it is decently regulated. eBay is not a retailer or a store - it is a source for people to sell their stuff. So, you can be buying from anyone. Some businesses sell on eBay but it is a lot of just regular people. Go into it thinking of it more as a fancier less hippie craigslist than an amazon.

If you are going to buy from eBay I would only use a credit card and do all of your payments through PayPal. If you do not have PayPal account then get one before you start. Both PayPal and your credit card can protect you if you do run into a case of fraud. (I have only had one problem in 10 years but it was on something pretty expensive so I was glad I have protected myself.)

I would not buy anything from anyone that doesn't have or won't send pictures. Look at a persons's feedback before bidding. Make sure that you read EVERYTHING in the auction. Pay attention to shipping prices and rules and keep in mind that it is an international marketplace. I try to only buy into the US unless I really want to deal with international. (Keep in mind that international is going to be more of a risk)

If you have questions send them a message and ask. If they don't respond then don't bother. Be a good buyer and pay in a timely manor and give feedback. Also keep in mind that they will be giving you feedback also and sellers can choose not to sell to people with bad feedback. It always pays to be polite.

Last edited:
I use ebay regularly (or have recently). We go in spurts. WE have had mostly good experiences with ebay, but I read, read, read everything on the post, the ratings on the seller. I have messed up a few times, and bought something that ended up being from overseas. Only once have I been burned, but it was over 3.75 cents, not a big deal. We always use paypal. Always.

Good luck.

I have bought quite a few things on eBay. I acquired a very nice collection of rooster cookie jars on teapots from there. Also some needlework items and some lovely embroidered linens. I wanted to make a quilt but I didn't get around to buying the kit and before I knew it it was discontinued. This was several years ago. Lo and behold I found the kit listed on eBay. I found a pair of chicken figurines like what my folks had when I was a child. Whenever there has been a problem, with one exception, the sellers have been quick to rectify it. The only complaint I have is that too many sellers do not pack fragile items properly and I have received broken cookie jars. Insurance too care of it.

I'm with everyone else. Me and eBay have a love hate relationship. I love how cheap I can get some of the things I'm looking for, but I hate myself when I realize I spent all the money I put on my prepaid card for use online.
lol.png

I've ended up with a few things from other countries. I have a ring from China that took forever to get here, but it still got here and it was exactly what I was biding on. I also have a necklace from Thailand, it took two weeks (which I thought was short) to get here and, again, was exactly what I was wanting. I haven't had anything bad happen yet, but I knew bad things could happen if I wasn't cautious.

I've had good luck buying on ebay, but I only buy from US sellers, since I usually buy collectibles. Check feedback before ordering, but have fun. If an idea pops into my head that I suddenly need a lidded German stein (or whatever) I can find one that I like at a price I like, within a day or two. It's like an online flea market.

They have some really great deals on Ebay. I typed in Sheep Hoof Trimmers and found a brand new pair for $6.99. The regular price in the stores here is $19.99. Who knew.:)

Since my last post, I am really enjoying "Ebay-ing". :) I have purchased 2 items so far and I have bid on 4 items but I was out bidded on 2 times but that's ok. I still am in the run on 2 other bids. This bidding thing is fun but I think it can be addictive. I haven't received my orders yet but I should receive them next week. I signed up for Pay Pal. It was pretty painless. I hope I have as much luck in the future that you all have had.

Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom