Who uses their own eggs for Easter?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 77horses, Apr 4, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    It's almost Easter time again. [​IMG] And it's always fun to paint eggs! So we use our own eggs, even though they are tan/lighter brown. [​IMG] But the colors still come out nicely, but not as bright as with white eggs, but they are still beautiful!

Who here uses their own eggs to paint during Easter?

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    No eggs here yet. I will run this week to a amish farm to pick five dozen up.

3. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    [​IMG]

We do...thank you Easter bunny....bawk bawk.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We do!!!! SInce my green eggs have started appearing again, I think the only ones I will color are the pink ones, to make them pinker.

5. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    We do, too! We have quite a few silkie and OEGB eggs that dye nicely. The added bonus of using the little eggs is that my grandchildren get to dye LOTS of eggs and we don't end up with gallons of egg salad.

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I do. I always save the banty eggs. They are so small and they color very well. Everyone gets a kick out of them.[​IMG]

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Don't have human kids so I don't mess with doing eggs for Easter but I give my grandmom several dozen of our green Easter Egger eggs to share with the families who have children in her apartment complex. They were a huge hit last year! [​IMG]

Dawn

8. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    ME DO!!!! I will collect all the eggs this week and boil them friday evening and dye them. Saturday we are making easter baskets for our kids at Sunday school. we are making 25 baskets and I am supplying the eggs and we have bought over 120.oo worth of candy for them got bags to put the baskets in. They are absolutely gonna love it. this is the first time we have ever done it for our kids. OH also I still make eggs for my nephew and he is almost 21 and my kids 20 and 18. My nephew asked his mom the other day if I was going to make him eggs this year. I have made them every year for his since he has been alive.

9. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

I does! [​IMG] We make pysanki, which are a Ukrainian folk art thingy. No, we are not Ukrainian, we just like the way they decorate the eggs. You dip in the lighter colors first, then you use a tool that draws with wax. Let's say that you start with natural. Whatever you draw at this stage, will be natural color once it is done. Then you melt off the wax, and see the pretty pictures!You end up with a really cool egg that has lots of different colors. Let me see if I can find a pic.
    I am nowhere near this good, but I make 'em for my friends. It only works with bee's wax.
    [​IMG]

10. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    I will be using our eggs this year - first Easter with chickens. I've 4 hens and they all lay different colors - the dark brown ones I'm not coloring. The green and pale brown ones from my 2 EE hens, I'll use plain 'cause they are already pretty. I've been saving the white eggs from my blue andalusian for a week and a half already, and should have 12 - 15 of those to dye by Good Friday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by