Who vacccinates their own chicks?

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
Now that I'm showing my birds more & more--I'd like to add some more preventative measures to my bio-security (besides the obvious quarantine & no visitors)....

I was wondering--who vaccinates their own chicks? And against what??

Is there a source for vaccines of any kind for less than 1,000 chicks? I only hatch a few hundred a year and over the course of several months...so it wouldn't make sense for me to buy 1,000 doses several times and waste money if the vaccine cannot be stored for a few weeks....

Quote:
I get mine from Jeffers.
I vaccinate for Mereks, Fowl Pox, NewCastle, and Inectious Bronchitis. Of course we are NPIP and I am waiting for more vaccinations to be completely tested. You cannot vaccinate against everything. I have abreeder I speak with and he doesn't take his birds to shows anymore and is making me re-think myself doing so. He told me this story: He had a flock of 400, took some birds to a show, quarentined them corectly, during quarentine a disease ( the name I cannot remember) became airborn, went into his main coop building ( separtae from the qquarentine building) and killed 200 of his birds.

Quote:
I get mine from Jeffers.
I vaccinate for Mereks, Fowl Pox, NewCastle, and Inectious Bronchitis. Of course we are NPIP and I am waiting for more vaccinations to be completely tested. You cannot vaccinate against everything. I have abreeder I speak with and he doesn't take his birds to shows anymore and is making me re-think myself doing so. He told me this story: He had a flock of 400, took some birds to a show, quarentined them corectly, during quarentine a disease ( the name I cannot remember) became airborn, went into his main coop building ( separtae from the qquarentine building) and killed 200 of his birds.

Yeah...I only show once or twice per year....and at one of the last shows I was at--there were birds looking/acting sick. They were pulled from the show....but that was an anxiety-producing episode.
barnie.gif

Quote:
I get mine from Jeffers.

I'll check out Jeffers....

Do you buy it in the 1,000 dose? Does it keep? Or do you hatch that many birds at once?

Quote:
I get mine from Jeffers.

Do you buy it in the 1,000 dose? Does it keep? Or do you hatch that many birds at once?

Nope
None of it "keeps"
I don't know how any one (or 5 for that matter) could possible vaccinate the 1000 chicks or chickens in the alloted time ( some only are viable for an hour). They are not expensive. The only limiting factor is the minute amount of vaccine that would be required to maker lesser quanities. It's not expensive. Remember to dispose of properly - some of these are live viruses.

Quote:

Nope
None of it "keeps"
I don't know how any one (or 5 for that matter) could possible vaccinate the 1000 chicks or chickens in the alloted time ( some only are viable for an hour). They are not expensive. The only limiting factor is the minute amount of vaccine that would be required to maker lesser quanities. It's not expensive. Remember to dispose of properly - some of these are live viruses.

Darn, LOL Yeah....I am only hatching about 150 chicks this season is 4-5 hatches....but I think it's worth doing anyway....I will be selling the culls (or trying to) so I hope to get some of my money back with that....I'll head on over to Jeffer's website and check it out...

Do you buy needles & syringes through them? Do you use the same needle & syringe on each chick? I know that when I've vaccinated dogs & horses you sure as heck don't--but I can't imagine loading up 50+ syringes & needles per hatch?
lol.png

I wish they would manufacture the vaccines with the small backyard flock owners in mind, but the vaccines only hide the symptoms of the illnesses, they can still get the actual illness/disease.

Back
Top Bottom