Whole grains for duck feed - Fermented Feed

@WannaBeHillBilly Of course, dry feed should have all the needed nutrition. Fermented feed does take longer than just scooping out dry feed but not much. It's just a different system, especially when you have as few birds as I. Mine gobble it up enthusiastically. Some of the benefits of FF is that it improves their waste and is better for their GI health. Just like fermented foods for us. It also is supposed to cut down on feed costs due to the calories and nutrition being more bioavailable for the animal. The original batches did take 3 days but once I had it "started", the next batch I mixed up with some of the first in the bottom was ready in less than 2 days, bubbling madly. I do batches at a time, so I am adding feed to my container and it lasts for several days. I currently use 2 large glass pickle jars that are stored in my pantry. As they get bigger I will need a 3rd container or 2 larger ones. I cook a lot and am in the kitchen for hours each day, so it's just another trip from the pantry to the sink with the jar if I need to mess with it. Not a big deal for me, but to each their own.

@Miss Lydia thank you for the timeline and assistance on picking out product types! Now I know what I am doing going forward.

So we leave the feed out fermenting, I'm trying to figure out why we can't leave it in their bowl fermenting. Not like they don't already have any germs in it all over them from the pen, water bowl, mud puddle, whatever. My babies scarf it down, and it takes me all of a minute a day to maintain it. Just part of morning chores.

People have mentioned the possibility of mold, but I haven't actually heard of anyone experiencing mold on FF left out for longer than "usual." Just the fear that it might happen. Perhaps the introduction of waste and other non-beneficial bacteria could contaminate the FF and cause problems? Your guess is as good as mine! But in general I don't like wasting things so I wouldn't want to put out more than they can consume. Nor would I want a rodent magnet hanging about.

I have never stopped fermenting since I started about 7 yrs ago I use Sally Sunshine method and it’s very easy the ACV in it keeps it from going bad I can leave it out all day in the shade I don’t put their feed in direct sunshine I never stir once I mix it initially except when I get to the bottom and start again their is no liquid to pour off either. It’s so good for them and I don’t think it would be feasible for feed companies to make and sell fermented feed but a lot of people do make it and feed it themselves and all of us have great things to say about it . When I get to my computer I’ll get the link to Sally Sunshine’s ff page. If your birds love it and you don’t mind making it what the heck is the problem?

So we leave the feed out fermenting, I'm trying to figure out why we can't leave it in their bowl fermenting. Not like they don't already have any germs in it all over them from the pen, water bowl, mud puddle, whatever. My babies scarf it down, and it takes me all of a minute a day to maintain it. Just part of morning chores.

Exactly I have been doing this so long It is just part of everything else I do for my flock.

I mixed daily on the original batches in the jars til they were ready to be used on day 3. Once I was adding feed the to a little of the original batch on the bottom, I mixed it really well once with a spatula and then didn't touch again til I was using it as feed. The only downside to that is that you need to leave enough room at the top. If you don't mix it and "punch down" the bubbles, it can cause liquid to overflow. But not mixing daily it doesn't seem to affect the actual process of fermentation.
My original batch was a little watery and thinner. All batches afterward have been like thick oatmeal.

Attachments

• 20190327_105937[1].jpg
    20190327_105937[1].jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 7
I am in search of some of my own. Saw some 1 gallon food safe buckets for sale for a buck on facebook marketplace but the lady didn't reply to my message. I may go to the grocery store and see what they'll give me. For now these jars work well.

Back
Top Bottom