Whole Unsalted Peanuts 🥜 with Shell

I've never tried it, but you could give them a few and watch to see what happens. Chickens can often swallow some fairly large things, and they seem fairly good at deciding what is or is not a good thing to eat.

My guess is that they won't eat them, but there's a chance they might manage to break the shell open, or swallow it whole. I'm sure their gizzard will successfully grind up any peanuts they do eat.

My grandma used to give her birds shelled peanuts as a treat. Grandpa grew peanuts and they never bothered them hanging (drying in shell) in the tractor shed right beside the nest.

She would shell them and break the nut in halves for them. They would eat them as soon as she threw it to one. Of course I think her birds would eat a marble is she called them over for it. They liked sunflower seeds best.

My grandma used to give her birds shelled peanuts as a treat. Grandpa grew peanuts and they never bothered them hanging (drying in shell) in the tractor shed right beside the nest.

She would shell them and break the nut in halves for them. They would eat them as soon as she threw it to one. Of course I think her birds would eat a marble is she called them over for it. They liked sunflower seeds best.
Great! Thanks for the reply! Sunflower 🌻 seeds are cheaper and I already purchase those for the wild bird feeders.

I've never tried it, but you could give them a few and watch to see what happens. Chickens can often swallow some fairly large things, and they seem fairly good at deciding what is or is not a good thing to eat.

My guess is that they won't eat them, but there's a chance they might manage to break the shell open, or swallow it whole. I'm sure their gizzard will successfully grind up any peanuts they do eat.
Thanks for the reply! My son wanted some whole peanuts 🥜 for the squirrels 🐿 and blue jays but I can get such a better deal buying a bigger bag. I will just have to buy the small bag and experiment to see if the chickens will enjoy them too before purchasing the big bag!

Back
Top Bottom