Whole Wheat Flour w/bugs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sunshinegirl, Jul 31, 2008.

1. sunshinegirl

sunshinegirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    I have a partial bag of whole wheat flour that has bugs (mealy moths) in it, and was going to throw it out. Then I wondered if maybe the chickens would like it. What does everyone think? Is it okay to feed old, buggy flour?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep! [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I just ditched some bread flour for this same reason.

@#$*#$%& moths...

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Those little weevils are an excellent source of protein, but if the flour is rancid as well I'd think twice about feeding it. JMO

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* (an edit turned into a d.p.-- that's new, at least!!)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  6. sunshinegirl

sunshinegirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't think the flour is rancid - doesn't smell bad or anything. I just opened the bag (was going to make some nice, healthy, whole wheat pancakes - with plenty of butter and syrup of course!), and there were mealy moths flying around in the canister. How can I tell if it's rancid for sure?

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I don't know about you, but my chickens don't care if food is rotten or rancid...they gobble everything except onions. [​IMG]

8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    mine dont care either.. they eat what ever looks good to them. Rotten too.. they especially loved the black dotted cherry tomatos.. they run with those.. LOL they are like little garbage disposals.. then what ever is left over goes into the compost.. then they make their way over to the compost and eat it again..[​IMG] and dig it all up for me..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    from now on, put some food grade DE in your flour. it's already in a lot of food you buy.

until then, your chickies are gonna dig it!

10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I asked my chickens and they all agreed - which is rare. definitely feed it. Extra protein!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by