Who's been hurt making their coop/run?

Chirpy

Balderdash
15 Years
May 24, 2007
Colorado
I was reading another thread and the OP said that her husband had been to the emergency room twice because of injuries sustained while building their coop/run. My husband shot a nail through his finger with the nail gun while making our coop. (I have pictures but they'd freak you out.) Gotta love that man... he walked in and asked my teenage son to get a pliers and pull the nail out. Then, after he finally got the bleeding stopped he wrapped it up and went back out to work on the coop!
big_smile.png
)

Who else has done bodily harm during the building process?

sickbyc.gif

Nothing that bad, but me and hubby both had big blisters from working with the chicken wire. He ended up with a upper resp. infection by the time he was finished with it. He tried to claim it was from breathing in all the saw dust
roll.png

I got stuck on a wire from the hardware cloth. It had a barb like a hook and I couldn't get it out. I bled all over the wood so my wife would feel sorry for me. It didn't work. She bought red paint for it.
sad.png

Doug

It didnt happen during construction but i was clearing the snow off the roof so it did not cave in and i fell of just twisted my ankle but i didnt do anything for it because i hate hospitals and such.

my husband was securing the chicken wire to the fence posts (when we had a fence around the coop) and my clumsy ox of a son knocked him over, catching his back on a rusty nail in the process. the reason being that he was trying to catch one of the chickens because he was bored.
roll.png
lol.png

Well, first is the pain in my wallet from the expense of building a coop.
Then to rub salt in the wound, I was laying down the hardware cloth on the ground around my run to make a skirt, while wearing flip flops. The edge of the hardware cloth is very rough and sharp. Ran it over my toes and got very painful cut/abrasion. That was the worse of all the nicks and dings. Does'nt sound like much but it hurt like the dickens for about a week.

No nail gun here.. I prefer the old fashioned hammer and nail.. Slower, but you feel more connected with what you build.

That said, two of my fingernails are black from me smacking them with it. Always bound to happen and smarts for a few hours.

Always have that respect for tools.. When you're complacent and let your guard down is when they bite. All of my family members who had lost fingers to one type of saw or another agree, they got lax and should have known better.

Nothing too horribly bad- busted my head (luckily no blood), Hubba busted his. I don't have one spot on my hand that doesn't hurt from being cut, scratched, blistered or splintered & I hammered my thumb. I *think* that was it.

Last edited:
Sounds like more people get nailed by that darn hardware cloth than anything else... In building my tractor I used: table saw, miter saw, drill press, power stapler, and brad nailer, jigsaw, sander, router... but the thing that drew blood was the hardware cloth
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom