Whos hens lay better when its FREEZING??

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
My girls are egg laying machines right now! Its in the single digits at night and only in the teens and 20s all day. Wow!! I'm impressed! Sweet hens! They must know all that extra protein they get in the winter is from their own eggs cooked and thrown back to them! Good Girls!!

We've been in the single digits at night with a high of 19 yesterday. So far so good, they gave me 12/13 yesterday. I've been getting 8-12/day for weeks now & it's been cold all winter. Can't complain right now, but they are eating a lot of feed. They are not venturing out of the coop much since Friday's snow. Sure hope Tuesday snow stays away. We have gotten a storm every 3 or 4 days for weeks. Not much (2-5 inches at a time), but it is getting real old. After last years weather, I thought we were safe this year.

Yes I've very sick of winter too. Can't wait to see them playing in the sunshine chasing bugs and eating grass!!!

we have had a cold snowy winter too and my girls have been laying great. I figure they are bored cause they dont get out to free range only get to go in their run which is covered, so they figure lets lay some eggs.
lau.gif

First year chicks will lay thru winter. On thier second year you will see many stop laying for they molt right before winter. That why it is always good to either hatch out new chicks each spring or buy some.

Mine have been laying pretty well too- even though it's been exceptionally cold. This is their first winter, and I have heard that chickens will typically lay well right through it. I've got about half still laying, and half that are taking the winter off. I think next year we wouldn't be so lucky as to still get eggs in winter. That's one reason that we used to justify ordering more chicks for this spring:)

Mine. They're crazy. And they're second-seasoners, too.

They also lay better in tornadoes, hurricanes, and rains of frogs.

My chickens must know they are Canadian. It was -25 Celcius with windchill and I got three eggs out of my 4 layers (I have five girls but one doesn't lay).

Back
Top Bottom