Who's laying what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by isa andy, Aug 12, 2016.

1. isa andy

isa andy Just Hatched

Aug 6, 2016
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    My 3 hens have just started laying ( 1 is a brown, 1 road island red, 1 barred rock). The eggs all look very similar in shape and size. My question is, can anyone tell me a simple way to tell who's laying what egg. They all lay about the same time so it's difficult to say. Thanks for any advice!

2. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    Do you mean ISA Brown? they lay fairly dark eggs, RIR would be slightly lighter, and Barred Rocks lay lighter colored eggs. As they get older you'll probably notice that your ISA brown's eggs will get bigger.

3. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

4. isa andy

isa andy Just Hatched

Aug 6, 2016
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Thank you, yes she is an isa brown. Problem is all the eggs look the same color too. One is just a touch darker so that probably is the isa brown. The other two look identical. Hmmm.

5. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    If you spy on them and can catch them leaving the nest, over time you'll learn the differences.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Um, no, there really isn't one.
    Only way to be 100% sure is to use trap nests...but that's not simple either.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I have read here on BYC that applying food colouring to the vent of chickens can help in identifying a specific layer, as it will leave that colour residue on the egg. I have not tried it, but it evidently worked for someone. If you do give it a try, please tell us how it went.

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by