Who's my Daddy?!?

bufforp89

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Chenango Forks NY
I just helped a chick hatch that has been pipped for about 26 hours, the thing is the chick is black. Really weird considering the only black roo I have is totally seperated from my layer flock. There is no way that he could be the dad, he has been seperated for months and there is no chance of a jail break. The hen that the egg came from is a LF white cochin, Im totally positive as she lays a very pointy egg and in the same place daily on the floor and none of my other girls lay on the floor.

So my question is, Who is the daddy??

The roos in question are a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana, a Buff Orpington (I know its not him though, I have hatched a ton of this cross, always buff) or bantam lavender ameraucana roos. Could a bantam roo breed a standard hen though? She is a really big girl and the lav boys are so tiny....

I would guess it is your lavender boy. I have read many posts of bantams breeding LF. I just don't know genetics enough to know if your split (would have to be split to have a black chick from what I understand) lavender could produce a black chick with a white hen. OOOOOH my head hurts trying to figure it out. Maybe Ilia will show up, she has a good head about this stuff.

Yeah, I'd go with the lavender... He just must be really athletic.
lol.png
Unless chickens are able to mate through chicken wire... I know I've heard of other animals being successful with other kinds of fencing.
hmm.png

A bantam can and will breed a standard hen. I am not positive but a lavender will produce black first generation unless bred to another lavender. I think.

I have a bantam rooster and he is breeding my large girls also. I even hatch one of the eggs from my Ameracuana and him so I know a bantam can and will mate with any hen that lets him.

No chance that anything happened through wire, they are not even in the same coop. Lavender it is! Hilarious because she is like 5x the size of the lavs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom