Who's, (or When Will He Be,) the Boss?

MrsAuberry00

Songster
Apr 30, 2017
Southern Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
My three hens have been with their new rooster for three days now. How long before they treat him like the boss? As far as being submissive for mating, that's all good. I was outside with them earlier, and he made a sound to indicate there was an aerial threat. The hens were clustered around my feet and didn't seem to pay him any attention. Is it because I was there? He was also making little sounds to indicate he'd found a treat for them, but they just seemed to want to stay around me. I'm going to try to observe them from inside the house so I can kind of see their behavior better when I'm not there to interfere. I guess I'm just wondering, is it instinct, or does it take time?

How old is your rooster, and how old are your hens? Generally, they will get it figured out, but not always is it instantaneous, especially with a young rooster. My old girls did not let the new boy roost for 3 weeks, and now a couple of months later, I am not sure if he has won all of them over yet. But he is making progress.

How old is your rooster, and how old are your hens? Generally, they will get it figured out, but not always is it instantaneous, especially with a young rooster. My old girls did not let the new boy roost for 3 weeks, and now a couple of months later, I am not sure if he has won all of them over yet. But he is making progress.

My oldest hen is 3 1/2 or so and my two others are 2. The roo is 1 to 1 1/2. They are all roosting together, in fact they were all on the same roost tonight. The first day they were finally put together, my oldest hen got into a sparing match with the roo but after about 10 to 15 seconds, she decided she'd go ahead and "take the pants off."

They will be working it out, and they will be looking more to him and less to you. Having a rooster does kind of change the dynamics of the flock. But he is a newcomer, and has to earn his spurs.

Back
Top Bottom