Who's the Daddy?

AuntNomi

Songster
7 Years
Aug 13, 2015
Callahan, Florida!
Not sure if I am posting in the correct area or not but I took my best guess..
We have a few chicks that hatched a few weeks ago. Mom is a white leghorn. We had 2 roos. A black one, and a RIR. The chicks were white with a few random black spots on them, now that they are feathering I am seeing some red feathers in there chest. I am trying to figure out which roo they belong to? I thought the black one, my husband thinks both. I lol at him, but hey I have no clue what I have here. And they are looking funny. Any ideas without pics? I tried to take some, but they run around too fast for me and everything was just blurred.

Leghorns carry what's called dominant white. Basically, this gene covers any black with white. I don't think it effects red, or not nearly as much as black. So it may be very difficult to tell which was the father, with this white masking the "true" color of the chicks.

did both the roosters have straight combs? If the black bird did not, that would be a way to tell his offspring as straight combs are recessive.

What color are the legs and/or bottoms of the feet of the black rooster?

The red rooster likely has yellow legs like the leghorn mother. I assume the black rooster has dark legs (potentially with white foot bottoms like an Australorp, or yellow like a Jersey Giant). Unless the black rooster also has yellow legs, if the chicks have anything other than yellow shanks, the black rooster is probably the father.

Last edited:
Leghorns carry what's called dominant white. Basically, this gene covers any black with white. I don't think it effects red, or not nearly as much as black. So it may be very difficult to tell which was the father, with this white masking the "true" color of the chicks.

did both the roosters have straight combs? If the black bird did not, that would be a way to tell his offspring as straight combs are recessive.
x2

What color are the legs and/or bottoms of the feet of the black rooster?

The red rooster likely has yellow legs like the leghorn mother. I assume the black rooster has dark legs (potentially with white foot bottoms like an Australorp, or yellow like a Jersey Giant). Unless the black rooster also has yellow legs, if the chicks have anything other than yellow shanks, the black rooster is probably the father.

I will check all this out on the roo and see tomorrow as it is dark out now. Thanks for that info.

Hen is white frizzle polish and rooster is black silkie. Any guesses to what it will look like? It has yellow eyebrows and beard with dark body.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom