WHO'S THE FATHER

I had a few mallard-cross eggs hatch a couple days ago. Four hatched-two have died-two are still in the incubator; very slow to gain strength. They will have to be moved into a make-shift brooder. Very weak from the start-assisted hatch-they are obviously 1/2 muscovy. This is not a cross I planned on and will try to make sure it does not happen again. In the spring, when I want ducklings, the muscovy View attachment 2910078drake will be penned. Look like muscovy, sound like mallard, and have the needle toe nails of muscovy.
Rooster Booster's "Poultry Cell" is my go to for assisted hatched ducklings that are weak. I draw .25cc and place one single drop at a time on the edge of the inside of their bill, allow them to "chew" in-between drops until it's gone. I've had duckling unable to walk and flipping over showing significant improvement within a couple hours on poultry cell. I continue usually for the first 3 days and then dilute in water for another 2-3 days after that.

Rooster Booster's "Poultry Cell" is my go to for assisted hatched ducklings that are weak. I draw .25cc and place one single drop at a time on the edge of the inside of their bill, allow them to "chew" in-between drops until it's gone. I've had duckling unable to walk and flipping over showing significant improvement within a couple hours on poultry cell. I continue usually for the first 3 days and then dilute in water for another 2-3 days after that.
Thank you for the information. I moved the ducklings from the incubator during my last post and they show marked improvement.

Just out of curiosity. Are duck cross breeds sterile?
In the case of mallard/muscovy, yes, they are sterile. In this case the two are different species. Most of our domestic duck breeds all have mallard as an ancestor (same specie); so those breed crosses are fertile.
My mallard hens are an obvious cross and since one duckling is crested I guess they are part Polish crested.

Back
Top Bottom