Who's who under the broody?

Chickstarrs

Crowing
May 6, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I am hatching a mix of eggs (2 Ameraucana, 2 Silverudd, 1 Welsummer X and 3 EE X) under my broody. I am wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks to determine which chick comes out of which egg. I have labled the eggs. Since the eggs are most likely to hatch under the broody and probably when I am not home, is there any hope of knowing who came from what egg?

I am thinking I will only know if I check often as they hatch and remove the empty shells, but might that cause problems for the eggs not yet hatched if they get disturbed?

Thanks.

Your down color and comb types will be good clues.
The Ameraucana chicks will all have pea combs. *Most* should have muffs.
Single combed chicks will have come from single combed parents.

Crosses of crosses get harder (ie if your EEs are pea combed and muffed, it will be harder to tell their chicks from the Ameraucana, though I find the muffs fall away the 2nd and 3rd generations).

That's all I can say now. We'd need to know more. What was the rooster? What color and comb type? What color are your hens? Some color genetics can help us as well.

LofMc

I purchased the Ameraucana and Silverudd eggs from a breeder so they are supposed to be pure. The Ameraucanas are wheaten.

The other 4 eggs are from my hens. I have 1 mixed roo and 2 EE roos so I won't know who the dad is until they grow a little and start resembling someone.

I was thinking more along the idea that I have labled the eggs to keep track of which is which, but once they hatch, I will have trouble knowing who came out of which egg. I guess it is for my curiosity but also to know whether I want to hatch more of the same hens eggs.

Back
Top Bottom