Why A Run?

Well my personal opinion is so in the winter you are able to keep them contained and warm. Also if a predator suddenly appears you want them to have a place to go and still have a little freedom.
Remember just my personal opinion.

I don't have a run....

I just let them out and they roam freely without any fences.

Most have runs because there are places they can't let their chickens roam to and for predator protection.

I am land locked on acreage in the middle of the city. We have coons that we've mostly taken care of and lock the chickens up at night. Hawks get a few so I tend to only keep standards. Dogs don't free roam the city long so almost never get a chance to find my chickens.

We have a run that is only used when adding new birds o the flock. The flock free ranges year round, new additions get the run for a week then turned out with the flock. Of course these are chicks we have hatched here being added in. Nice o have a spot for them to get outside in when still small.

Quote:
I put mine in the run because they were eating my garden. They get to come out when the garden doesn't have anything good to eat.

LOL

I had that problem, so I made a "run" for the garden.
lol.png

No seriously though, my garden is tiny so I did fence it in from the chickens.

A safe place for them to be in the dead of winter when the leaves are off the trees and there aren't enough places to hide from predators.

A place for them to stay when we have visitors. Apparently we have an attack rooster! He is fine with the two of us, but if anyone stays more than a few hours and spends much time outside, they are in danger.
sad.png

-Wendy

Back
Top Bottom