1. Uncle Marc

Uncle Marc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Poplar Grove Kentucky
    Okay everybody has a run. But what about letting the chickens out on our farm to free range. Why would I need a run?

2. AlaskaGrownEggs

AlaskaGrownEggs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    Wasilla, AK
    Well my personal opinion is so in the winter you are able to keep them contained and warm. Also if a predator suddenly appears you want them to have a place to go and still have a little freedom.
    Remember just my personal opinion.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't have a run....

I just let them out and they roam freely without any fences.

Most have runs because there are places they can't let their chickens roam to and for predator protection.

I am land locked on acreage in the middle of the city. We have coons that we've mostly taken care of and lock the chickens up at night. Hawks get a few so I tend to only keep standards. Dogs don't free roam the city long so almost never get a chance to find my chickens.

4. kippy2

kippy2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    they dont need a run but its good for them to be outside as well as in

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I put mine in the run because they were eating my garden. They get to come out when the garden doesn't have anything good to eat.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We have a run that is only used when adding new birds o the flock. The flock free ranges year round, new additions get the run for a week then turned out with the flock. Of course these are chicks we have hatched here being added in. Nice o have a spot for them to get outside in when still small.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I put mine in the run because they were eating my garden. They get to come out when the garden doesn't have anything good to eat.

LOL

I had that problem, so I made a "run" for the garden. [​IMG]

No seriously though, my garden is tiny so I did fence it in from the chickens.

8. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

A safe place for them to be in the dead of winter when the leaves are off the trees and there aren't enough places to hide from predators.

A place for them to stay when we have visitors. Apparently we have an attack rooster! He is fine with the two of us, but if anyone stays more than a few hours and spends much time outside, they are in danger. [​IMG]

-Wendy

9. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    We free range our birds most of the time, but on days I can't be home I leave them in the run. I also feed them in the run.

10. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:So will hawks take the standards?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by