Why am I having trouble with hatching eggs? Yolks not being absorbed...

icyangel222

Songster
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
MN
This is my first year doing incubation, I had 3 different groups of eggs that I set in the incube and long story short, the first thing I noticed was that when I candled them a week prior to the supposed "lock down/hatching" time frame seemed to be behind in development but most if not all were still alive. The temperature according to the thermometer was just right, and eventually I bought another one just to make sure that one was accurate and it was. The only thing I can think of is that the temp is too cold but according to the thermometer it's not.

I recently heard from someone that you're supposed to have the incube warmer then usual for your first time, but it seems weird to me and don't know why that would be needed? And I don't see any websites or anything talk about that.

Anyway, as far as the hatching went, all the first eggs hatched late, on day 23 and I only got 2/8 eggs on that one hatch. The "eggtospy" revealed that I could have had at least 2 more chicks, cause they were fully grown but didn't absorb the yolk for some reason and they didn't hatch, 2 more were a bit smaller but they had also not absorbed the yolk, I kept those eggs in the incube for 2 days after day 23 and they didn't hatch. The humidity was in the right frame too as far as I know, it ranged from 40-50% during incubation.

The other 2 groups hatched again late, on days 22 and 23 but the one group I had only about 2/7 eggs hatch and the other group was 1/7 eggs. The first group of these 2, "eggtopsy" revealed that other 5 eggs again 3 did not absorb the yolk and 1 was deformed like "hunchback", 4 were fully grown. The second group of these 2, 4 were fully grown or close but again didn't absorb the yolk, and that appears to have been the only problem with that group. The non-hatching eggs of these 2 groups I kept in the incube for 2-3 days later before I decided no more were going to hatch.

So I guess the real question is, why aren't these yolks absorbing??? It appears to be a serious problem because I'm having such low hatch rates because of it. And FYI all these eggs were shipped prior to setting. For the most part everything is fine except for the yolk absorption part, for some reason it's a big problem for me, and I don't know what's up with it. I'm also worried cause I have a 4th group of eggs currently incubating and I really don't want another bad hatch just because of the yolks not being absorbed. I can tolerate late hatching but this yolk thing is a huge problem.

I also have pictures of the eggtopsy if anyone is interested in seeing them, I didn't want to start off too graphic.

Oh wow! I'm sorry about your eggs and chicks! Did you read the Hatching 101 article? I learned a lot from that. I honestly have no idea what's happening over there. :( It sounds like everything is right with temp and humidity? Did you candle before you put them in? Were the air cells ok? Did you let them rest 24 hours before setting? Those things can cause development to go bad. I hope someone can help you out!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

One thing I'm noticing so far is 1 of the batches of eggs I recieved had a "saddle" air sac problem. Only thing is that article is not saying what I can do to "help" the eggs that are like that. It did have a link to another site that talked slightly more about it but still didn't really say what I can do to help the eggs... It pretty much just said to watch it and look for internal pipping.

As another note, with the batch of eggs I got incubing now, I'm watching and marking the air sac with a pencil. This time I'm washing my hands and using anti-bacterial disinfectant on my hands, and using the disinfectant on the candler (flashlight) and the pencil tip, to really make sure the eggs I got now don't get infected. Before I just used a tissue to handle the eggs and nothing more. You'd think the tissue would prevent at least some eggs from getting infected.

I kinda wish I had read this stuff sooner, (I did read incubating and hatching eggs websites plenty of times prior but did not read that article) But noobies tend to get stuff wrong a few times at first even so.

So far my best guesses are that the yolks could have gotten infected or possibly they were turned too long and the yolks got twisted, for the ones that didn't absorb the yolk. I'm not sure what happened with the 2 eggs I had that did absorb the yolk but the chicks did seem deformed to some level, the hunchbacked one seemed like it was too big for the egg or something, I'm pretty sure I had the egg positioned right and it had a very flat foot like it was pressed like a pancake.

Now I did see on that article that with a still air incube like I have you need to have it about 2 degrees warmer which is probably my problem with the late hatching. So I will now adjust the incube to that level.

With the saddle air sacs I'm not sure what I should do, because right now the eggs I'm incubing now, at least half have the saddle issue and I'm not sure if I should add humidity or what? The cells seem big enough to where the chicks could hatch comfortably. These eggs are due on the 29th which happens to be my birthday as these eggs were a gift to myself. Obviously I don't want to mess up again.
sad.png

Maybe you should try dry incubating the eggs. Here's the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

How do you turn your eggs? Turning the wrong way can get your chalzae twisted weird.

This worked great for me on my second try. First try out of 20 eggs none made it. This time I did what they said in this article and 9 went to lock down and hatched 8. It really does work. Mine all hatched a day early.

Back
Top Bottom