Why are Calls SO difficult to hatch?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by easttxchick, Jul 27, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I understand that Call ducks are very difficult to hatch(especially from shipped eggs), but could anyone explain why?
    I hatched out a singleton from 17 shipped eggs which, apparently isn't an uncommon hatch rate for them.
    I have tried to be VERY vigilant when incubating them, but apparently that isn't enough.
    Can anyone give me any tips? I have 14 more coming and these Call eggs AIN'T cheap!
    Thanks for any help.

2. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
  3. ruralmom

ruralmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    NW Colorado
    That is not that bad. My first experience was with hand delivered eggs and I got none out of 13 eggs. My second attempt this spring I got four beautiful grey calls, from the same hand delivery, out of 13. I an at high elevation and kept the humidity very high in the 60 - 70's throughout the incubation and helped everyone out of their shell. I do not know if that was in there best interest but I did get four live birds, only lost one that was developed. All the other lost birds were quitters thoughout the development stage. I am too inexperienced to give you advice I am sure there are other BYC that could help and advise. Good luck. I am now a call duck fan.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks for the tips, folks.
    Scott-the only thing I did differently than you was I hand turned my eggs(I did incubate them horizontally).
    I did have a 75% hatch rate my first go around with the White Calls I hatched in May which I was thrilled about.
    I am so in love with these fantastic, loud, gorgeous little birds and desperately want a nice sized flock(I currently only have 4).
    I wish my Sumatra hen would go broody right about now-I'd sure let her set these I have coming! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by