Why are Calls SO difficult to hatch?

easttxchick

Lone Star Call Ducks
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
I understand that Call ducks are very difficult to hatch(especially from shipped eggs), but could anyone explain why?
I hatched out a singleton from 17 shipped eggs which, apparently isn't an uncommon hatch rate for them.
I have tried to be VERY vigilant when incubating them, but apparently that isn't enough.
Can anyone give me any tips? I have 14 more coming and these Call eggs AIN'T cheap!
Thanks for any help.

That is not that bad. My first experience was with hand delivered eggs and I got none out of 13 eggs. My second attempt this spring I got four beautiful grey calls, from the same hand delivery, out of 13. I an at high elevation and kept the humidity very high in the 60 - 70's throughout the incubation and helped everyone out of their shell. I do not know if that was in there best interest but I did get four live birds, only lost one that was developed. All the other lost birds were quitters thoughout the development stage. I am too inexperienced to give you advice I am sure there are other BYC that could help and advise. Good luck. I am now a call duck fan.

Thanks for the tips, folks.
Scott-the only thing I did differently than you was I hand turned my eggs(I did incubate them horizontally).
I did have a 75% hatch rate my first go around with the White Calls I hatched in May which I was thrilled about.
I am so in love with these fantastic, loud, gorgeous little birds and desperately want a nice sized flock(I currently only have 4).
I wish my Sumatra hen would go broody right about now-I'd sure let her set these I have coming!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom