why are chickens not laying eggs in nest box

Jack142

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 3, 2010
Bennett
Hi Gang,
We started raising chickens again. We have 12 "ladies" about 6 months old and we are getting about 2 or 3 eggs a day now. I built a nice coop and built 6 nest boxes. BUT they lay their eggs on the floor of the coop and bury then in straw. The wife has stepped on 2 eggs so far. I tried wood shavings and straw in the nest boxes but they just scratch it out. When we go into the coop its a "hunt" for the eggs and be careful where you step.
So any suggestions ?
Thanks Jack

Golf balls work just as well. Also, are the boxes in a dark area? I hung a cloth over 3/4 of the opening of the nest boxes to make it a little darker.

They like their nest boxes to be secret and safe... put them in the darkest corner of the coop. As far from the door/windows as you can. Close to the ground at first, and once they get the hang of if, you can raise it up higher. Make sure they can easily get into them as well. Some birds do not like to fly up, they need to hop or jump. Dummy eggs, or a couple of their own will attract them as well.

Mine lay their eggs in the NW corner of the coop. I have 4 nesting boxes that they sleep in, but won't lay in. I've done the golf ball thing, but everyone lays their eggs in that corner. I've resigned myself to gathering eggs there.

Staying warm in Marilla, NY with my 15 chickens of assorted varieties, 20 sheep, 5 goats, 2 Piedmontese heifers, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 turtle.

What I did was put a golf ball in each nest, then put my girls that I knew were gonna lay in the nest. They realized "Hey! This would be a great place to get this cork out of me!" And they layed in there ever since.
big_smile.png

Otherwise, it may not be out-of-the-way enough, the opening may be too small, or big. Or the inside is too small for them. We had to build new ones cause we underestimated how big the hens would get.
Hope this helps!

try a fake egg of 2 in the nest boxes. I have one who wont lay in the nest box she lays in a corner behind a piece of ply leaned up against the wall. But she was here on the farm when I bought it and had not been cared for so she did the best she could with what she had. I guess at least it is in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom