why are my aracauna eggs beige?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dadsgirl, Mar 23, 2009.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    i have pure bred aracauna hens and a pure bred aracauna rooster, got first eggs and they are beige, can anyone tell me why they are not colored?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    cuz they aren't pure bred [​IMG] I don't mean that to sound like a smart aleck but...I think that is the issue [​IMG]

3. bikergirl

bikergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    they are not pure bred [​IMG] Do you have pics of you hens and roos you could post? May be even an egg or 2!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  4. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Did someone sell you some pure bred aracauna's ? They really gave you easter egg chickens which is a cross and egg colors vary from bird to bird. Hope you didn't pay too much...

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    did the birds come from a breeder or a hatchery?

6. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Here are some eggs I get. Hard to tell but some are a beautiful sky blue into varying shades of green to brown. The hen that lays the blue eggs is brown with gold flecks. No muff, beard and does has tail feathers.

[​IMG]

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Dadsgirl, if the birds have fluffy muffs and beards, and have tails, they are EEs, not Aracaunas. And the egg color... definitely off. Sorry. [​IMG]

8. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Araucanas are rumpless and have ear tuffs (muffs and tuffs are different) they also can be banties
    Americana The Ameraucana should also lay blue eggs, but unlike the Araucana it has a tail and possesses muffs and a beard, which are quite different from the tufts of the Araucana, and no feather crest. Muffs and beards are fluffy poofs that grow on the cheeks and chin of the bird, whereas tufts are actual feathers that grow from fleshy lobes called peduncles on either side of the birds' face. Tufts are associated with a lethal gene, which makes them difficult to attain.

The Easter Egg Chicken is not an actual breed; the term refers to any bird that lays colored eggs. The vast majority of birds sold as "Araucanas" or "Ameraucanas" are actually neither. Instead, they are mixed breeds with no APA (American Poultry Association) Standard that lay colored eggs, ranging from bluish and greenish to pinkish-brown, and sometimes even tan, gray or white.

Most that come from the hatcherys are EEs

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Well said. I always have a hard time explaining that. [​IMG]

10. bikergirl

bikergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    Araucana
    [​IMG]