Why are my chicken attacking me all of the sudden?

RenaG

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Cameron Park, CA
We are first time chicken owners. We have 5 total, 3 are 22 weeks and 2 are 20 weeks. Two of the 22 week olds (BO & EE) started laying about 2 weeks ago. One of the 20 week olds (Black sex link) started laying a few days ago. All was good until yesterday when I went to collect eggs and throw some scratch out for them and all of them started attacking my feet and legs. I pushed them away but that just made it worse. Just a few days ago they were nice friendly chickens??

I was wondering if the earthquake shook them up and scared them or is it a pecking order thing? I may have to start wearing boots just to protect myself.

Were you wearing anything that looked like food?

I wouldn't expect the earthquake to have anything to do with it.
Were they pecking at your legs, shoes? The whole flock? Or were they really flying at you?

Last edited:
wow.. i have some very friendly 5EEs,6blk j.giants,3 austrlorps,5SLW,2RIRs,2buff orps,2sussix and one GCM roo
but when i have treats i was getting mobbed i realised my food was getting low in the afternoon even though they free range they eat the feed up. i went to feeding two scoops and by evening right before bed they have just enough left in the rim ti snack on that has kept them happy i give various treats gheir favorite is bread and wild birdseed they will pick for an hour to get it but three cups is all they need pluse birds dont get a chance at it before they clear the groud.that has calmed them down they only mobb me but are paitent enough for me to throw it out for them to get. i still get a peck now and again but they arent tryn to eat me now.

I was wearing the same flip flops that I always wear with jean shorts and shirt. They were all coming at me. I threw down some bird food and they still would not leave me alone. My boys said that they have been doing the same to them when they go to check the nest boxes and give them fresh water in the afternoon.

wow ...is some strange behavior! chickencanoe had a good question.. when coming at you was their wings partway out and head down neck slightly tucked in maybe head feathers fluffed up as they came to you? when pecking was it hard and nearly bringing blood? were they displaying tails traight up? did they jump at you with neck feathers fluffed up and peck and scratch?

Back
Top Bottom