Why are my chickens aggressive at night when roosting?

It is normal for the nightly fuss at roosting time though. It's like have several sisters you got share a room with. There's gonna be drama sometimes. Haha
I have 6 hens and 1 rooster. My rooster is the one I have to intervene because when he pecks there feet, he pecks hard and cause blood sometimes.

My coop is small. I wasnt planning on 7 chickens cause I thought I was getting 4 well that didnt go well lol so we gave them a much bigger run so the coop is just a relax, laying egg, sleeping area plus food and water. I'm trying my best to keep them comfortable

If you never close them into the coop, that might work.
Especially if the run has a roof over at least part of it, and some shelter from wind.

But if they are shut in the coop until you let them out in the morning
Or if there is rain and they need to stay inside to be dry
Or if it snows and they refuse to go out in that strange white stuff
Or if there's a heavy wind and they need to come inside to be out of the wind

Then they need enough COOP space.

As 3KillerB's said, plan on 4 square feet per chicken in the coop, plus a foot of roost space per chicken. And of course they will all want that roost space to be on the highest available roost :)

If you never close them into the coop, that might work.
Especially if the run has a roof over at least part of it, and some shelter from wind.

But if they are shut in the coop until you let them out in the morning
Or if there is rain and they need to stay inside to be dry
Or if it snows and they refuse to go out in that strange white stuff
Or if there's a heavy wind and they need to come inside to be out of the wind

Then they need enough COOP space.

As 3KillerB's said, plan on 4 square feet per chicken in the coop, plus a foot of roost space per chicken. And of course they will all want that roost space to be on the highest available roost :)
How should I make the coop bigger then. I also have to move the roost because there too close to the vent.

How much Roost space do you have? You said you were adding more so that might be the solution. Is it just it Roost time? I would say if there's a way if it continues to maybe separate the one being aggressive at that time. But I know you said there's not a lot of extra room. The rent would be an option but that's tough to because it's got to be protected from the weather and predators

How much Roost space do you have? You said you were adding more so that might be the solution. Is it just it Roost time? I would say if there's a way if it continues to maybe separate the one being aggressive at that time. But I know you said there's not a lot of extra room. The rent would be an option but that's tough to because it's got to be protected from the weather and predators
idk how much roost space but its just enough to fit 7 young chickens. They only use the coop if there laying an egg, food or water but I also have food and water outside as well so they barely use the inside, sleep and there up but 6 or 7 and let out then and night they go bed at 7. Its a lot of money to add more coop space and making it bigger. When it snows the run is going to be covered In tarps and straw on the ground so they are abel to go outside.

If you move the food and water completely out of the coop, that will help. There are different ways to keep water from freezing in the winter months so that will help. Many people who have small coops keep the food and water out in their runs only.

Back
Top Bottom