Why are my chickens attacking my other pets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smallbluejellybean, Aug 27, 2013.

1. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    I asked in forum only 3 or so weeks back on how to stop my cat from going after the chickens. Now the tides have changed and my chickens keep trying to attack my cat. They are also going after my guinea pigs, where they use to roam free around the yard (which is huge) to just roaming to a small corner, where they can escape those pesky chickens easily. I also have an aviary with canaries and button quail, and they even try to go for them too (they can't get them, but it scares them). They corner my little dog, but she is not scared of anything and fights her way out. HELP!!!
    Is there anything I can do about this problem?
    The only good thing is they have scared the indian minors away,
    My darn, freaky, scary chickens even fight each other. Everyone says they are all girls on here, but they act like a group of bulling boys on a school yard rampage.

2. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    A squirt bottle is a great training tool. When you see behavior you don't like TAKE AIM AND FIRE!!

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Yup, squirt bottle works GREAT! Get one that really squirts the distance, read somewhere (BYC) a squirt gun (may have an even farther reach). I got my 6 pack to stop picking on my potted plants but then they started in on those in my yard. So I got pin wheels that I posted around the area, it's been 6 days and they haven't touched my plants. Adds deco to the yard...

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    When my hens have youngsters , they will take on the dog, the cat and even a goat. Just hope yours are as brave when a predator comes looking.

5. smallbluejellybean

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Thanks for the advice. I am sorry for late reply, but life gets hectic sometimes. I discovered they don't like the broom and just waving it around has done the trick and they are attacking less and less now. Also my cat has found high spots around the place to get away from them altogether. My guinea pigs still duck for cover when the chickens come around their free ranging territory. Now I am just hoping for some eggs now they are 24 weeks old.

6. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Every now and then a possum gets in to my coop. The hens give her a flogging. When I go over in the morning there are tufts of possum fluff all over the shop. And possum asleep in the nest box. You should be getting eggs any day now.

7. smallbluejellybean

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    I hope so. I think those three are playing with me. Probably when I stop caring anymore if they lay or not, they will lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by