Why are my chickens dying?

AshRosc

Chirping
May 22, 2019
Good Morning Everyone!

I’m having an issue with my girls. A couple of weeks ago I had a hen die, she was sick for a few days with diarrhea and was just generally lethargic. But no one else was sick so I chalked it up to she had something going on that was confined to just her. Then the day before yesterday I had a hen with something hanging from her vent area. I have attached pictures .. sorry that they’re so gross and graphic. Yesterday my rooster, who was about 5 months old, just dropped dead in front of my eyes. He went for a blueberry and lost his balance, fell over and just died. He had been acting different for the past couple of weeks; not crowing as much, not walking with the rest of the flock, and spending a lot of time just sitting outside of my kitchen door. Today I went to let the girls out and I say to them “ are we all feeling ok today?” What do you know .. another hen has this weird long snot looking thing hanging from her vent. Does anyone have any ideas about what is happening?

Attachments

• DCF38979-6CBA-4D20-B89E-3EFE2C1D7730.jpeg
    DCF38979-6CBA-4D20-B89E-3EFE2C1D7730.jpeg
    529 KB · Views: 25
I did not mean to add a picture of my adorable rooster when he was alive and well, but please enjoy it anyway :hit
Good Morning Everyone!

I’m having an issue with my girls. A couple of weeks ago I had a hen die, she was sick for a few days with diarrhea and was just generally lethargic. But no one else was sick so I chalked it up to she had something going on that was confined to just her. Then the day before yesterday I had a hen with something hanging from her vent area. I have attached pictures .. sorry that they’re so gross and graphic. Yesterday my rooster, who was about 5 months old, just dropped dead in front of my eyes. He went for a blueberry and lost his balance, fell over and just died. He had been acting different for the past couple of weeks; not crowing as much, not walking with the rest of the flock, and spending a lot of time just sitting outside of my kitchen door. Today I went to let the girls out and I say to them “ are we all feeling ok today?” What do you know .. another hen has this weird long snot looking thing hanging from her vent. Does anyone have any ideas about what is happening?

Sorry for your loss. Your hen looks to have a prolapsed vent with a malformed egg or a lash egg sticking out. I would try to pull the “egg” the rest of the way out if she hasn’t passed it already. Then cut the thing open to see if it is a malformed egg, or if it looks like a lash egg. Also lubricate the vent with honey or coconut, olive oil, etc and try to push the red prolapse tissue back inside. If you have some calcium tablets or Tums, give her a half of one orally or in some food.

I would treat them all for coccidiosis or get a fecal test done by a vet on some combined droppings.

Thank you! I forgot to mention.. the hen in the picture with the prolapsed vent also died. But I have another one that is still alive with something hanging out but it’s just long and kind of looks like mucus. I was thinking to treat them all for coccidiosis but they don’t have bloody diarrhea or any of the other symptoms. Is it possible that they could still have that? I appreciate all of the help!
Sorry for your loss. Your hen looks to have a prolapsed vent with a malformed egg or a lash egg sticking out. I would try to pull the “egg” the rest of the way out if she hasn’t passed it already. Then cut the thing open to see if it is a malformed egg, or if it looks like a lash egg. Also lubricate the vent with honey or coconut, olive oil, etc and try to push the red prolapse tissue back inside. If you have some calcium tablets or Tums, give her a half of one orally or in some food.

I would treat them all for coccidiosis or get a fecal test done by a vet on some combined droppings.

Can you post a picture of that sick hen? It could be an egg membrane from a shell-less egg. Blood is not seen in most strains of coccidiosis, but only in a couple of them. Corid is rather safe to use to treat in case they have it. Or you can get some droppings checked by a vet.

Can you post a picture of that sick hen? It could be an egg membrane from a shell-less egg. Blood is not seen in most strains of coccidiosis, but only in a couple of them. Corid is rather safe to use to treat in case they have it. Or you can get some droppings checked by a vet.
Ok that’s good to know. I’m going to see if I can track down the one from this morning and get a pic.

They get a layer feed from the mill, I don’t give them oyster shell. Do they need that too? The mash I get from the mill was supposed to have everything they need, or at least that’s the impression I got when I was switching them from the Purina feed I used to get from tractor supply. They free range from 630 am until they go in on their own at night.

They get a layer feed from the mill, I don’t give them oyster shell. Do they need that too? The mash I get from the mill was supposed to have everything they need, or at least that’s the impression I got when I was switching them from the Purina feed I used to get from tractor supply. They free range from 630 am until they go in on their own at night.
It is more preferred to give them oyster shell, it provides calcium for the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom