Why are my chickens laying eggs on the ground?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elkapoor, Dec 10, 2011.

1. elkapoor

elkapoor New Egg

Dec 9, 2011
    We received 8 mature laying hens. This is our first try at keeping chickens. We've had them about 2 weeks now. They've been laying about 4 eggs a day. they've been using the nesting boxes. Yesterday we found 2 eggs on the ground in their run. One was broken, the other was just outside the coop but not damaged. What could be going on?

2. Wife With 2 Kids

Wife With 2 Kids Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2011
    Im new at this and have only got chickens who are not laying just yet - but from friends (not pro's at this either) who have had similar issues, have said it could be due to not enough nesting boxes or not adequate enough bedding for the hens to lay their eggs in??? Once againg this is just from friends who have told me....youve come to the right place to find out.....these guys give incredible advice!

3. Cluckin'Crazy4them

Cluckin'Crazy4them Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    NW Oregon
    If it were me I would check the nest bedding type, thickness, freshness. Some girls are picky... silly hormonal bird brains... [​IMG]
    My guess would be that one is laying there for whatever reason and another hen is laying it on/near the first one because that's just what they're supposed to do. If bedding or another reason doesn't turn up, put a fake egg in the nestbox of the appropriate laying area. And also put another temporary nest box where they lay in the run. If you find eggs in it, then gradually scoot the box closer and closer to the 'real nests'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by