Why are my chickens laying eggs that are broken and not formed

barredbeans7

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
My chickens are occasionaly laying eggs that aren't formed all the way..sometimes they don't have yolks..but they are only in their first month of laying...I have been giving them oyster shell,but they seem to not care for it..I am worried that they might eat their own good eggs that they lay..is there something I can do?
1f414.png

They are newbie layers and their systems might have a few kinks...It usually works itself out after a month or so...what are you feeding them?

If they don't like oyter shell, you could try offering baked and crushed egg shells.
Why baked? I have just put mine in the food processor is that wrong?

I have just had this problem myself but mine are 1 year old and this is the first time there eggs were deformed. I do remember when they first started to lay though, there were some funny looking eggs for a while.

Why baked? I have just put mine in the food processor is that wrong?

I have just had this problem myself but mine are 1 year old and this is the first time there eggs were deformed. I do remember when they first started to lay though, there were some funny looking eggs for a while.

I can take this even one step simpler (for me it's due to laziness). I just nuke mine, take them outside, and do a quick squeeze to crush em and sprinkle on the ground.

Most people will heat them in some way to kill off germs, but as you've noticed, the hens usually don't need it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom