Why are my chickens so skittish and wild?

get you some crickets and start feeding them by hand /catching each bird and holding them while you feed them ! This will really tame them down

I know its alot of roos. I would love to rehome one of the Ancona roos, but I don't know how to go about it and make sure they get a good home. I buy my chickens and chicks at the jokey, a farmers flea market type thing we have here so there is no sexing. I am going on the 14th to look for some adult hens to buy, and if not I will get more teenagers and try not to get attached this time until I know genders. I certainly had not planned on having that many roos. The JG is a hen and I have a silkie roo. I have one other hen who is friendly so really I have 4 hens to 5 roos.

I'm surprised though. No one is fighting and there is really no breeding going on at all. I will created a bachelor pad if it comes to that. The silkie roo is MEAN and possibly blind, but we can't get rid of him. He is the only friend and protector of our mentally and physcially handicapped duck. The BR roo is special to me because he only has two toenails left and has lost a toe on one foot due to very poor care at his previous owners and I really like him. The EE is BEAUTIFUL and so is one of th Ancona males.

If its any consolation, the silkie roo does not hang out with the chickens, he acts like he doesn't even know they are there. He's more a duck than a roo.

Last edited:
I got my girls from a local farmer. They were really scared when we first got them. They have been with us for 3 months and now they are like dogs. They certainly have me trained. They make all kinds of special noises when they see me coming. I made sure that I moved slowly, spent extra time in their run talking to them and they'd sell their souls for a grasshopper or mushy tomato.
There is a price to pay for tame chickens. Today one flew on my head to say hello. (yuck,dirty feet!) Oh, and never listen to your mother if she says heavy breeds can't fly very high. Yeah.....

Maybe if you sit down in a chair or on a stump low to the ground every day for a while, and hold out treats, they will begin to come round. You can move your hand with the treats closer and closer to your lap - eventually (or so I been told) they will jump up in your lap where you can hold, pet and talk to them!

Back
Top Bottom