1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why Are My Chickens So Small!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Nov 7, 2009.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    i have 2 std white cochin pullet 1 barred cochin bantam roo 1 white silkie pullet and one RIR roo the are almost 22 weeks and there are as small as the come....the silkie and bantam cochin are just bigger than a soda can and the cochin pullets are about two and a half soda cans tall, what ,why are they so small:hit [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. roostercruiser

roostercruiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Reelsville, IN
    What are you feeding them? Have you wormed them?

3. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    You need to be feeding them grower mash.

4. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i'm sitting here looking at my soda cans, and thinking that sounds about right to me??

my bantam cochins are a little larger than a dove, but smaller than a pidgeon,that would be the size for the silky too, and my large fowl EE's are bigger than my leghorn, i would give the EE's 3 soda cans, and the leghorn slightly less... and i have what i think is a RIR or RIR mix, and she's the same size as the leghorn...

i do have 3 barred rocks that didn't get very big, but i also stopped feeding them the medicated chick food about a month early ... we were switching the rest of the flock and at the time just couldn't buy 2 different kinds of feed.... i'm worried that i stunted their growth.. lol... oh well.. they will eventually lay eggs which is their only worry anyway...

i see photos of other BYC'ers with their birds, and the birds look HUGE... like take up an entire adult lap... i'm guessing that a lot of these birds are breeder birds, not hatchery birds like mine.... where did you get your birds??

i might be able to get them to stand next to soda cans tomorrow or monday if you need pictures... lol...
    i don't know... maybe we're both growing runts??

*edit*
    i forgot i had uploaded this pic here, it shows my RIR next to my banties... does that look about like your size ratio??
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think they're still growing too.

I know my RIR roo grew a lot more after 20 weeks!

6. Christine S

Christine S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    South Portland
    I thought my chickens were nice and big, until I went to a local agricultural fair! The chickens they had on display there were GIMORMOUS! Even the hens! [​IMG]

7. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    They are still growing. Mine didn't really fill out until about the time they started laying.

As long as they look and act healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about size, unless you are planning on eating them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by