Why are my chicks’ faeces watery?

Vanta Lilies

Chirping
Jul 3, 2020
Most of my two week old chicks have fairly watery poop. Is this something I should watch or be concerned about?

While I am not a poop expert please answer these questions and post a pic of the poop.

1. What are you feeding exactly? Feed type and brand? Is anything other than the feed being given?

2. Are you giving supplements?

3. Have the droppings always been runny or is this new?

4. What are your temperatures like?

5. What temperature is the brooder at?

I believe @casportpony is our poop expert.

I’m feeding them a Nature’s Best non-medicated chick starter along with some treats which could include cracked corn, raisins, or worms. No supplements. I noticed this first yesterday, so fairly new. Brooder’s at 29°C/83°F. This is the best dropping I can find. Though it’s dried, one can clearly see the ring of moisture the napkin soaked up. About 7cm in diameter.

Attachments

• CE32AF63-554D-49E1-BCD5-CD1DF9E2ACDB.jpeg
    CE32AF63-554D-49E1-BCD5-CD1DF9E2ACDB.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 7
I read that chickens’ faeces could be more liquid in summer when it’s warmer. Could this be because the brooder’s a little too warm?

Looks normal to me. It takes a chicks digestive system about 2 weeks to start processing feed correctly. The amount they actually eat isn’t very much unless you have meat birds. Once their digestive system takes off, feed intake increases and you start getting traditional turds.

They shouldn’t be getting cracked grains that young. I would hold off on grains, treats and grasses until you have them on a starter grit. 4 weeks I introduce starter grit with their crumble.

:goodpost:

I will add that grit should not be added on the feed but provided in a separate dish. The chicks that need some will choose what they need from the dish.

Oh and starter grit is just that....grit in appropriate size for chicks. I see it sold as starter grit and as chick grit. Grit should not be confused with oyster shell. They are different items.

Back
Top Bottom