Why are my chicks hatched with deformities?

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
I had one pullet went broody, I gave her Australorp eggs, Eggs from ex battery hens and her own first eggs. She hatched All Australorp and all ex battery eggs but her eggs even with 4 roosters that are unreleated to her and to them, hatched one with small eyes/eyelids, one died in egg after external pip that had lower beak normal and upper beak twisted vertically, one is alive in egg after pipping with cross beak. Why Is that? Should I cull those 2 chicks with smaller eyes and cross beak?
Chick with smaller eyes
20220704_065504.jpg
20220704_065459.jpg

20220704_065451.jpg

I had one pullet went broody, I gave her Australorp eggs, Eggs from ex battery hens and her own first eggs. She hatched All Australorp and all ex battery eggs but her eggs even with 4 roosters that are unreleated to her and to them, hatched one with small eyes/eyelids, one died in egg after external pip that had lower beak normal and upper beak twisted vertically, one is alive in egg after pipping with cross beak. Why Is that? Should I cull those 2 chicks with smaller eyes and cross beak?
Chick with smaller eyes
View attachment 3173646View attachment 3173647

View attachment 3173649
Here is photo of one with cross beak
1656911587208-1571831778.jpg

Deformities become most conspicious and debilitating over time. Every poultry keeper has their limits for how many birds they can keep. Use your limit wisely. Better to cull now before you get more attached.

Deformities become most conspicious and debilitating over time. Every poultry keeper has their limits for how many birds they can keep. Use your limit wisely. Better to cull now before you get more attached.
Thank you! I will cull if it hatches. Im not sure what to do with one that has smaller eyes, he seems that he has no other deformities.

I think Its because her own eggs were too small and they are her first.
that's the answer to your question. Wait until her reproductive system is fully up and running before you try to breed her again. It going to be tough on her being a broody too.

Back
Top Bottom