why are my chicks just all dying:-(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by varikia, Jan 17, 2014.

1. varikia

varikia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    tasmania
    My other hen gas been sitting on 5 eggs one hatched looked so perfec. But died there should have been 4 left but there was only 2 no sign of the others even being There. I just got home from Work and one of the eggs has cracked and the chick has died iinside the membrane not broken. There must be one left what shall I do? can anyone help please

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm so sorry. There are many possibilities. Perhaps you could read in our Incubating and Hatching eggs forum and get some ideas.

3. kallan

kallan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2013
    Hardy, VA
  4. kallan

kallan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2013
    Hardy, VA
    Sounds like you are using a broody hen to hatch eggs, so disregard above link.

I am sorry for your losses. Is this hen able to have privacy or is she with other hens that could bother her? I've heard that some hens will eat their chicks when they're hatched. If that's the case, I wouldn't use her again. The weather could be playing a part in their survival also. When it's so cold, they need additional nutrition to keep their body temperature up.

Good luck on your next clutch.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry about your problems. One common problem with setting hens is interference from other chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by