• they are two girls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Samwell

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2017
Sydney
Hi
I got two Chinese goslings in November 2017 when they were about 4 weeks old. I was told that they were not related and that the smaller one was a girl which I call Guida and the larger one a boy called Ganso. Time has passed and they are now over 5 months old. They are now developing their knobs and Guida has caught up with Ganso in size. Guida has not only caught up with Ganso, but also her knob seems to be a bit larger than Ganso’s. I am starting to think that they are two boys. They are both very loud, but only Guida hisses when I get closer. I don’t know if the ‘hiss’ is just because she is threatening me (she has never been as friendly as Ganso, who eats out of my hands) or if it is because it is a ‘gender’ differential. I have never seen Ganso hissing. They both live a trio of Silver Appleyard (Richard, Donatela and Flora) who they get on well. However, I have noticed that Ganso and Guida have been fighting. I have surprised them circling and ‘biting’ each other’s wing and back. They keep fighting even when I come close so i have to interfere. I am starting to believe that I have been tricked and instead of getting a boy and a girl, I got two boys.
I am posting video of them fighting. Thanks

Looks like it could be two boys.Or a male and female fighting for dominance in the relationship.
It’s spring,by now they should have atleast been trying to mate or something

They could be two males, you will know when (and if) one of them actually lays an egg. We are currently right in the middle of mating season so it is not uncommon for two males to fight one another. But, usually they are fighting over a female. Our geese (Toulouse) fight so much this time of year that we have had to build house and run areas for each pair (they have paired off) and a separate barn for the Bachelors of the group.

Looks like it could be two boys.Or a male and female fighting for dominance in the relationship.
It’s spring,by now they should have atleast been trying to mate or something
Here, Down Under, is actually Autumn. It is still hot, but it is mean to be Autumn. They have not had any spring yet. They first spring is going to be in September.

They could be two males, you will know when (and if) one of them actually lays an egg. We are currently right in the middle of mating season so it is not uncommon for two males to fight one another. But, usually they are fighting over a female. Our geese (Toulouse) fight so much this time of year that we have had to build house and run areas for each pair (they have paired off) and a separate barn for the Bachelors of the group.

If Spring is the mating Season, I will have to wait until September to find out. Here in Australia is the beginning of Autumn. Still quite warm.

Are your Appleyards females? I couldn't get a good look at them. Your geese did look like fighting especially since neither one tried to actually mount the other one to breed. So they are around 5 months old? seems kind of early for fighting especially since your going into fall. Usually it takes them until 8 months and older before they are sexually mature.

Beautiful place you have there and gorgeous animals.

Hi Miss Lydia
The Appleyards are one boy and two girls. One of them has been laying eggs, but I think she stopped a couple of days ago (not sure). She did not sit on the eggs, so I suppose that it was a bit of a waste. I put some eggs in a incubator, but not sure if they will hatch, but I know that the embryos are still alive because I have just candle them about 10 minutes ago.

Yes, they are a bit over 5 months. :-(

Thanks for the compliments.

Cheers

Sam

Just wondering if your boys are fighting over the ducks . It may just be sparing for dominance too. You know how boys are.

I asked about your females because when I only had my gander him and my Muscovy drake would fight and draw blood over the female muscovies . They are still arch enemies even though my gander has a goose mate now. They don't forget.

Just wondering if your boys are fighting over the ducks . It may just be sparing for dominance too. You know how boys are.

I asked about your females because when I only had my gander him and my Muscovy drake would fight and draw blood over the female muscovies . They are still arch enemies even though my gander has a goose mate now. They don't forget.

Thanks Lydia and sorry for the late reply.
The silver apple yard are 1 boy and two girls. One of the girls is now sitting on 10 eggs.

If they fight over girls, I think it would be over the cal ducks because they always fight on the same spot which is near where the call ducks are lock in. I haven’t seen them fight as much lately.

I hope they will stop fighting and I really hope it is one girl and one boy. (not much hope though).

Thanks

Since your starting into fall things should be settling down some that is probably what your seeing since they aren't fighting as much. Breeding season is late winter here for geese is that the same there? Starts anywhere from Jan till end of May.

10 eggs you'll have lil ducklings running around soon.

Back
Top Bottom