Why are my drakes breeding my chickens?

poultry09

Songster
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Rainier, Oregon
I have a small group of runners (2 drakes 3 hens) and today I seen both of my drakes on top of one of my standard cochin hens and trying to breed her,(but I got both them off her) then the one drake ran down a chicken and tryed to breed her as well (but again I got him off her) . I know in the group, the two drakes get along just fine and thier has been no fighting between them. The other day I did start to notice that some of my chickens where starting to loose feathers and getting bare backs. So could someone please tell me why they are trying to breed my chickens and if thier is anything I can do to stop this behavior.

Thanks
Poultry09

Last edited:
I have a small group of runners (2 drakes 3 hens) and today I seen both of my drakes on top of one of my standard cochin hens and trying to breed her,(but I got both them off her) then the one drake ran down a chicken and tryed to breed her as well (but again I got him off her) . I know in the group, the two drakes get along just fine and thier has been no fighting between them. The other day I did start to notice that some of my chickens where starting to loose feathers and getting bare backs. So could someone please tell me why they are trying to breed my chickens and if thier is anything I can do to stop this behavior.

Thanks
Poultry09
You need to separate them asap. drakes some of them will try to mate anything walking and your hens will be killed.

You need to separate them asap. drakes some of them will try to mate anything walking and your hens will be killed.
X2.

This is just a part of keeping ducks. They are very sexually active which can easily cause more problems. If the problem is not addressed you will start losing hens.

Ok thanks! I am going to be separating them here soon and putting the chickens in one half the coop and the and geese in the other half and the ducks in Thier own 6x6 I think it is

Thanks
Poultry09

X2. 

This is just a part of keeping ducks. They are very sexually active which can easily cause more problems. If the problem is not addressed you will start losing hens. 

Ok thanks! I have had ducks for about 3 years now and this is the first time I have had a drake try to mate with the chickens, but I did have a rooster that would mate with the ducks.

a drakes breeding strategy when in a group is to cooperate with the other males and gang rape lone females.

the reason its OK but odd for a rooster to breed a duck is because he cant hurt her any less then a drake, but a drake can do alot of damage to a hen because he has a penis and a hens anatomy isn't designed for penetration

a drakes breeding strategy  when in a group is to cooperate with the other males and gang rape lone females.  

the reason its OK but odd for a rooster to breed a duck is because he cant hurt her any less then a drake,  but a drake can do alot of damage to a hen because he has a penis and a hens anatomy isn't designed for penetration

Ok I never thought about that, thanks

Back
Top Bottom