why are my ducks getting so wet and not floating

mlcrossland

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2016
I have 2 two week-old ducklings and I've recently noticed that during bath time they aren't drying and aren't staying dry during the bath they are also having a difficult time trying to float would the heat lamp in their cage be drying the oil out of their feathers? any suggestions on what I should do.

You are seeing what is normal for two-week-olds.

They don't have their adult feathers, and so they won't stay dry in water yet. That's one reason they need to be watched at all times in the water, and taken out when they are tired, sometimes only after ten minutes or so.

If mine did not start preening right away after bath time, I would towel them off with a dry washcloth.

They don't have any oil yet. Normally mom would be oiling them. When we raise ducklings they don't get the oil so we have to dry them in a towel after their swim time. Keep the water warm and shallow.
Once they get feathers their oil glands will get going

thank you guys so much for the info they have been getting blow dried (which they LOVE) and have been completely dry before they go out to their cage.

thank you guys so much for the info they have been getting blow dried (which they LOVE) and have been completely dry before they go out to their cage.

Better to ask and make sure all is well when learning. Loads to learn. Love'em, them duckies.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom