Why are my female quails jumping??? Is something wrong?

sscaria

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
I was checking in on my quails, and when I look at them, the females are all jumping! they're hopping over each other and everything, but the males aren't doing anything, they're just sitting like usual. Sometimes the female will stick her rear up slightly for like 5 seconds, and then start jumping again. the thing is, its not one female- its all of the females! nothing on their feet- is it the wood shavings i put down doing that? I have chickens and they aren't bothered by the shavings. same thing with my baby quails. why are they jumping around like that? Thanks in advance :)

It’s a response to a predator, they jump around to make themselves hard to catch. My males do that too sometimes as well. They might be surprised at your approaching the cage, or confused at the wood shavings if you just put them in, mine jump around occasionally if I’m digging or adding straw, or after a hawk flew past and they “wake up” from staying frozen.

Yeah! It depends sometimes they jump because they’re happy like @Pandaisy said but it’s more likely that they were frightened. I have one that sometimes does it when she gets scared. :)
oh ok. that does make more sense because they are new additions and may not see my familiar face. thank you!

I thought it was a sign that they are happy? I have hens occasionally jumping around. My tame quail does this happy dance every time she sees me.
aww, thats so cute! someone said that it might be from being scared, and i think that makes more sense. but thank you for addingsomthing, and thats so ute that ur quails and chickens do that too!

It’s a response to a predator, they jump around to make themselves hard to catch. My males do that too sometimes as well. They might be surprised at your approaching the cage, or confused at the wood shavings if you just put them in, mine jump around occasionally if I’m digging or adding straw, or after a hawk flew past and they “wake up” from staying frozen.
i think this may be the best explanation. thank you! It might be that they're scared of me, as they are new additions. thank you!

Back
Top Bottom