Why are my hens molting again?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brienna, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Brienna

Brienna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    I have four 2.5 yr old hens that all went through a molt recently since around September-October. One of my hens had a rough molt in September and lost a lot of feathers, more throughout October-November and starting laying again for about a week beginning of November but soon stopped again and is now losing feathers again. Not as much as the first time, but she is definitely back in molting mode as I can tell by her behaviour. Same thing is happening to another hen who had also a bad molt (lots of bald spots) more in mid-october. She started laying again for about 2 weeks in November but stopped recently and is now losing a lot of feathers again?! All their feathers grew back nicely so I thought the molt was over. One is even losing her tail feathers again, which she lost and grew back earlier this fall. Is this a normal molt? do they molt in stages like this, like they were over the molt and are now molting again? this is strange. I'm sure they don't have parasites so it's not that?
    Has anyone experienced this?

2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    Ya my hens just started another Molt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by