Why are my hens not laying?

chickenwisc

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Two weeks ago, I added five young hens to my flock. The seller said they were around 28-30 weeks and laying. They are in an insulated coop, with fourteen hours of light a day. The coop has been checked for drafts, and have for the most part been eliminated while still giving them fresh air. They are on laying pellets and have plenty of water. They also get a scoop of scratch grain a day. They are not free range due to predators, they stay within the coop and their run.

BUT, they have yet to lay. My question is, am I missing something major? Anything else I can do to try get some production?

Last edited:
Because we've heard the same story and when we've asked for pics sometimes the birds are either males, females much younger than stated, or molting and older than stated. Sometimes they're just a poor laying breed. Sellers aren't always honest and no offense, but I don't know what your knowledge base is, if you'd know any of these things. It's just a troubleshooting thing.

Okay. I can understand that. I was told they were Wyandottes. I can take some pictures of them tonight.

Back
Top Bottom