Why are my Hens scratching in their house ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pinkygal, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Pinkygal

Pinkygal New Egg

Jan 14, 2013
    Hiya :) Im new to this and have been sat listening to my Hens scratching very loud in their house ? I was wondering if they might be getting ready to lay as they havnt layed yet ??? xxxx

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!

Hens will scratch in just about everything. They LOVE straw. As long as they don't kick the bedding out, it actually helps fluff up the litter and keep it aerated, which keeps the smell down. If they're scratching the nest material out of the nest, you'll probably have to install some "straw guards" or something similar to keep the straw in the box. Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Welcome [​IMG]
    They scratch to find seeds and straw usually always has seed heads for them to find. Mine love it when I throw a couple leaves of new straw down, it keeps them busy for hours. If they are scratching around in teh nest box and most of the time they start squaking up a storm then they are looking for a prefect nest. When they start practicing then they normally start to lay within a week. How old are your girls?

4. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

peek in at them. if it is one hen scrathing herself a spot (nest) then she will probably lay in the next day or so. If they are all scratching then they are just being chickens and looking for goodies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by