Why are my new babies in the water? and other random questions :)

CrazyFowlFreak

Pine Hill Farm
11 Years
Apr 24, 2009
WV
They just arrived, someone from a post office an hour away came and delivered them.
love.gif
They're around a week old.

Anyhoo, they've been in the box since Wednesday, as the dummy seller sent the Priority Mail, in a Priority Mail BOX with 4 holes cut out. No food, no water sponge, nothing. From Florida to WV in warm temps. Who does this???!!!
he.gif

So naturally one of them is pretty weak, the two others are fine, though. I've given the weaker one sugar water from a dropper, mush, and yogurt. What else can I do for him, other than keep him warm- we are:)

Also, two of them choose to sleep in the ice cube tray I'm using as a waterer until the weak one gets better. Is sleeping in the water normal? Help! Argh!
barnie.gif

If they were in a box in shipping for FIVE DAYS - it's amazing they are stil alive. It is important to get food and water in them ASAP. And NO, they should not be sleeping in the water and should not be wet. They need a heat lamp, and just like baby chicks, need to be kept warm and dry. It is sometimes tricky to get baby peachicks to eat. I would wet the crumbles and feed mine from my long red fingernails. It made them curious enough to start to peck. You can also peck at the food on the brooder floor with your finger. Put the food on the floor and scatter it around. Try some scrambled egg and mince it up really well and see if you can get them to eat it. They need very high protein source so gamebird feed is better than chicken feed. Also wet cat or dog food is good for them.

It is most important right now that you make sure they eat and drink.

I can't believe someone would use Priority Mail, a regular box and ship them that way. That is terrible. I hope they make it.

Thanks, me too. Only the one seems worse for wear. They eat explored and then ate and drank a little, played a bit and are now crashed. Is it okay that the weaker one looks like he's fallen asleep on his feet? The others are sitting nicely to sleep and he just kind of crashed on his red towel in the brooder.

They've had a long, hot, five-day ordeal so they will be tired. As long as they ate and drank some, they can take a nice long rest. Just make sure everyday that they are eating and drinking. With peachicks, you can't just "assume" - you need to see them eat and drink and they need high levels of protein.

Those poor babies. Shame on the seller for not shipping them overnight. They should not have suffered like that for 4 days with no water!
I just hatched one baby myself, so I am no peachick expert! But it seems like you are already caring for them better than where they came from. It's good they have found a proper home, and hopefully everything will turn out fine.
smile.png

If the peachick was shipped at dayold, just like chicks they are shipped with no water, as they dont need food or water those first days. Remember dayold chicks need the heat around 90 , so think they would be fine.

The 4 days in the boxes is to long, that may not be the shippers fault!!

Ruth gave you somegood advise, trouble with peachicks is MAKE SURE they are eating and drinks.

I use hard boil egg yolks(lots of protien) the first day something about the color, and Ruth red finger nails, But sorry NOT PAINTING my finger nail for my peachicks

Back
Top Bottom