why are my roos in the nestboxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by patandchickens, Feb 12, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I kind of figure the answer is "I dunno" or "because" or something like that, but in case I'm missing something important I wanted to run this past y'all.

Yesterday, both times I went out to the chickens, Pants (one of the SS roos) was in one of the nestboxes. Today, I've been out there twice, once Pants was in the other out, and the second time, Itchy (the other SS roo, in an adjacent pen) was in *his* hens' nestboxes.

I have NEVER seen either take any interest in a nestbox before, much less go inside and sit there.

I see no evidence of pecking, mites, weird poo, or any odd behavior other than they've all been maybe a bit more talkative and squawky than usual. We've been having a thaw, with buncha rain and now buncha wind, but this is certainly not the first time for *that* [​IMG]

So, whatcha think... "I dunno", "because", or some actual reason? [​IMG]

Pat, whose DH suggested perhaps it's a chicken version of crossdressing

2. BB3

BB3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    I have had 1 or 2 that go in on cold nights, but have had hens in nest boxes also chase them away, so no telling, may be just curiosity, or who knows maybe your husband is right, LOL...

3. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    I have a small banty roo and on cold nights he sleeps in the nesting boxes...I'm guessing cause it's warmer. I also have an ee roo that gets in the nesting box with my ee hens...strange but true. She's just sitting there minding her own business and he pushes his way in and literally sits on top of her. [​IMG] Maybe he thinks he can "get some" easier if he's got her cornered [​IMG]

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    He's checking it out and making sure it's a safe place for his ladies to do their business [​IMG]

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:That's what I think. We have one that gets in there, rustles everthing around and talks up a storm. The hens come over and check it out like he's calling them to dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by