Why are my Waynedottes not laying.......

Genesworld

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
I purchased 10 Silver Laced Waynedottes about 3 months ago. I was told that they were 1 1/2 years old. It took about 6 weeks to get the first eggs. I realize that it took some time for them to get settled in. I average about 2 eggs a day now. They appear to be very healthy and are used to me now. Most of them even are eating out of my hand. Has anybody got any ideas as to why I'm not getting a few more eggs? Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!!!!! The eggs I am getting vary in size. Could it be that they are still young even though they look mature. Thanks, Gene

welcome-byc.gif
You should be getting a lot more eggs than that. Maybe they are older than 1 1/2 yrs. Have you asked the seller why they aren't laying? If they aren't going thru their molting process, I can't think of a reason unless they have worms or mites, and I think you would have noticed that by now.

Are you giving them layer food? Do they eat well and are they active doing chicken things during the day? You could try putting a couple golf balls in the nest boxes to remind them that's where eggs go.

Do you free range them? If so hens often go off and have hidden nests. Predators two & four legged kinds may be taking their eggs. Snakes love eggs and often curl up under the hens to get them when they are laid. Of course the hens don't even notice.

Back
Top Bottom