why are there ants in my coop

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
so i have a broody hen and she is on some eggs in the hens fav laying ox and i will sometimes go out there and have to pick off a ant on her back ive never had any ants in there before why are they there know and how do i get rid of them

You can use some Ant Bait and try to get rid of them that method. Other method is more drastic using insecticides. Your choice.
0414151546-00.jpg

The way this stuff works is simple. Ants eat sweet contents. It contains Borax. Borax creates a gas in intestine. Ants can not fart, so they expire.

You can use some Ant Bait and try to get rid of them that method. Other method is more drastic using insecticides. Your choice.
View attachment 1390411
The way this stuff works is simple. Ants eat sweet contents. It contains Borax. Borax creates a gas in intestine. Ants can not fart, so they expire.
Would the Terro Pose a risk for the chickens? My chickens will peck at just about anything and since they’re sweet contents in it I’m sure they would love it.

Would maybe some dried mint. I also know ants absolutely hate cinnamon. I use it in the cracks near my windows to keep the ants out. I don’t know if cinnamon is toxic to chickens. I don’t believe it is you could look into that before trying that but those are at least two natural methods that may help

Oh and this just popped in my head. If I ever find ants in my kitchen. Are used to get small invasions every year until recently I would spray the ants and the area with a 50-50 solution of vinegar and water. The solution kill the ants and I noticed probably the smell of the vinegar kept them away for a little while to. I know vinegar is safe around chickens

Back
Top Bottom