Why are they dieing??!

KOTurkeyRanch

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Western PA
I hatched out 4 mallards. They all were fine then one died, and another. They thrived everyday then died. Today i let them swim and one died. They eat and drink. They are about 2 weeks old.

sometimes it's something in the egg and when they hatch they just keep dieing . I am so sorry to hear your having this happen I hope the others don't go too.

So, 2 or 3 have died?

Do you have them in a warm/ heated area?
Are they in the house or barn/ coop?
Do they have injuries, or simply dieing? Are you finding them deceased, or are they sickly before dieing?
What are you feeding them?

Lots of variables depending on the circumstances. Not warm enough, contaminated food or water. Wet bedding. Some say not to let them swim til they are 6 to 8 weeks old. Maybe with some other details, someone who's more familiar with ducks can jump in and help.

Quote:

Quote:

2 died. They have a heat lamp. They are in my basement in a brooder. They have no external injuries and they arent sick. Im feeding them pullet starter non-medicated. 16% protein. I let them swim in a sink for about 10 minutes in alittle warmer than air-temp water. The bedding is hay. I am using the same hay bale for turkeys and had no problems yet. One died while i was using a towel for bedding.

Last edited:
Do you have a thermometer in the brooder to check the temp under the light? Can they get out of the light if they're too warm ( ie room enough to move)?

Quote:

2 died. They have a heat lamp. They are in my basement in a brooder. They have no external injuries and they arent sick. Im feeding them pullet starter non-medicated. 16% protein. I let them swim in a sink for about 10 minutes in alittle warmer than air-temp water. The bedding is hay. I am using the same hay bale for turkeys and had no problems yet. One died while i was using a towel for bedding.

Holderread recommends Flock Raiser as a food for starting waterfowl cause the chick stuff ain't got the niacin right.
So sorry you're loosing babies!

I've heard it's important to give them a vitamin/electrolyte mix in their water. It's available in feed stores or online. The brand I got is Vi-Tal. (And while I was going to the store to get it, the duckling I bought it for died--- but the other ducklings probably needed the vitamins also.)

Back
Top Bottom