Why are they doing this??

sadies0111

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
So, I've had chickens for only 4 months...I got 6 chicks (5-8 weeks old) in November. In the coop we have a home-made feeder with a "hopper" in the back to self-dispense food. Usually I have to fill the hopper 1x/week. Lately, though, I've been noticing the chickens jumping on the edge of the feeder and just spilling the food out. It ends up getting dumped in the pine shavings and disappearing. The feeder is now only lasting 2-3 days rather than a week between re-fills. So, does anyone know why they would be spilling their food? They shouldn't really be bored...they "free-range" pretty much everyday for at least 4-6 hours, if not longer (although, until the snow melts, "free-range" means they get scratch thrown on the shoveled driveway). Any ideas?

I would say they are probably trying to roost on the side of it and unintentionally spilling the food. Do you have plenty of roosts for them inside and outside the coop?

Quote:
They have plenty of roost space, and I've only caught them on the edge of the feeder 1 or 2 times. Usually I just see the food spilled all over the shavings...I use deep litter method, so it disappears pretty quickly.

Maybe they are just playing then. Do you have plenty to keep them entertained? Maybe hang some cabbage or something for them to play with. I have heard of people hanging cd's too. The shiny attracts them and they like to bat at it. Don't know. I would suspect that they are just being little turds and think it's fun to do.

Back
Top Bottom