why are they dying?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EggsForIHOP, May 22, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    So...it's not really an emergency at this point..but I suppose it could become one...

The 411 is this:

shipment of 50 chicks
    feeding medicated start and grow by purina
    also feeding that to 20 other SEPARATELY KEPT chicks - healthy I may add
    1 arrived dead (came on Wednesday)
    7 more dropped dead the next night sometime
    doing everything for the new chicks as sanitary as possible (i.e. not contact with other prior to feeding them, etc)
    1 more yesterday found just laying there, seemed to be struggling to breath, but no discharge from nose, died in the night (had moved it
    to it's own warm spot away from EVERYONE)
    1 more today not looking so hot - just lays there, legs in a normal position, except when you pick it up, it doesn't move them at all - even the wings are just kinda kicked out to the sides immobile - this one however is still peeping, can't decide whether to cull or leave it be

What is causing this? Why are they just going limp and paralyzed? I tried searching and kept coming up with spraddle leg - but that doesn't really fit the symptoms...any ideas? DH is heart broken, and I have no answer for him...
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Are they too hot? Holding their wings out away from their bodies is a sign of being too hot.
  3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    the first time i got chicks I had the same thing happen. they just kept dying at the drop of a hat. The next time I got them I got a pack of vitamin?electolite powder from the feed store and added it to the water (tiny bit goes a long way) and I didn't lose a single chick. I still have no idea what went wrong that first time or if the vitamins make that much of a difference, but I will always add it from now on.
  4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    all the others seem to be doing fine - moving around, eating, drinking, etc...it's hovering between 95 under the light and 80 on the far side of the brooder - idk....just hoping it's not some disease I haven't heard of yet. Only had one pasty butt in the whole crowd and that ones doing great now...just at a loss as to why so many losses in this one group
  5. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Be sure they can move away from the heat and are not over crowded. I'd get some organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar and add 2 tablespoons in a gallon of water. I keep the red brooder light at one end and the food and water on the other.
    Are they all spread out? If they are they may be to hot.
    My youngest are 3 and 1/2 weeks old being raised by a hen and she had them out last week in the rain and it was only in the high 50's. Last night she had them some how up on the highest roost, so they can be pretty durable [​IMG]
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like shipping stress nothing you have done wrong. Hopefully they have turned the corner and are OK today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by