Why are they hiding out indoors?

Laffindog

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
It's a gorgeous beautiful mild day and all my birds are in the coop. Why? They can go in and out as they please, but they choose to stay inside. Should I push them out the door and close their little hatch?
hu.gif

I have two pens/coops, one bunch always is out and about and the other stays in the coop all day. I don't have an answer but I hear ya!

Leave them safe passage to cover! Mine all run for cover when a hawk or other winged potential predator is around, even if we humans don't notice it. Mine also spend a good deal of the day in the barn that encloses their coop because they have little of no protection from the sun outside it. They seem to prefer to be outside in the evening when the barn is casting shadows and the sun is not quite so overpowering. If you want t encourage them to come out, try adding some other forms of cover in their pasture or run.

Quote:
I totally agree! Something may have spooked them that you are not aware of. Leave the hatch open and they'll come out when they feel the coast is clear.

Back
Top Bottom